A suicide bomber attacked one of the entrances to the US Embassy in Ankara on Friday, killing a Turkish security guard.
A woman, reportedly a journalist, was critically injured.
The assailant also died during the blast.
Turkey’s government has named him as Ecevit Sanli, a member of outlawed far-left group the DHKP.
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said the attack is the latest in a series of terrorist acts threatening peace in Turkey:
“All these attacks are against prosperity and peace in our country. As we have said since the beginning, we have to fight against terrorism together all over the world,” Erdogan said.
The US state department is investigating the incident in cooperation with the Turkish authorities.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Russia hits back at Canada after sarcastic jibe over Ukraine crisis
- 2Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’
- 3NATO: satellite images ‘show Russian troops in Ukraine’
- 4Obama backs claims of Russian troops in Ukraine
- 5[As it happened] Newsday: Ukraine – Russia – NATO – Syria – Ebola
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 6Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 7Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 8Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 9Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 10Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 12Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 13Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 14Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 15Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 16EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 17Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
- 18Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 19Hamas executes 18 suspected collaborators | euronews, world news
- 20Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
Wires > News
- 00:14 CET Islamic State militants behead captive Lebanese soldier – video
- 00:05 CET Philippine peacekeepers rescued from militants on Golan – U.N.
- 23:25 CET Modi seeks Japan’s help for ‘inclusive vision’ on first big trip
- 23:21 CET 22 miners rescued from Nicaragua gold mine after landslide
- 22:59 CET Obama, Harper discuss NATO summit, Iraq in phone call – White House
- 22:00 CET Bahrain detains Shi’ite rights activist on arrival at airport
- 21:37 CET Tunisia says 36 migrants dead in latest Mediterranean shipwreck
- 20:55 CET U.S. to push for coalition to fight ‘cancer’ of Islamic State -…