A suicide bomber attacked one of the entrances to the US Embassy in Ankara on Friday, killing a Turkish security guard.
A woman, reportedly a journalist, was critically injured.
The assailant also died during the blast.
Turkey’s government has named him as Ecevit Sanli, a member of outlawed far-left group the DHKP.
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said the attack is the latest in a series of terrorist acts threatening peace in Turkey:
“All these attacks are against prosperity and peace in our country. As we have said since the beginning, we have to fight against terrorism together all over the world,” Erdogan said.
The US state department is investigating the incident in cooperation with the Turkish authorities.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 2Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe
- 3Russia’s behaviour in Ukraine a ‘flagrant violation’, says Biden
- 4Spain: Singer Isabel Pantoja jailed for two years
- 5Turkey promises support for Kurdish Peshmurga in anti-ISIL front
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 16:06 CET Mali records new Ebola case, linked to dead nurse
- 15:31 CET U.S. welcomes oil deal between Iraqi Kurdistan and Baghdad
- 15:22 CET West seen easing demands on Iran atom bomb ‘mea culpa’ in deal
- 15:16 CET Bodies of Armenian pilots removed from helicopter crash site
- 15:08 CET Magnitude 6.8 quake hits central Japan; no tsunami warning – NHK
- 15:02 CET Russia to seek new partners if Western oil majors leave – minister
- 14:55 CET Polish opposition party calls for rerun of elections
- 14:50 CET U.S.’ Kerry says ‘big gaps’ remain in Iran nuclear talks