A suicide bomber attacked one of the entrances to the US Embassy in Ankara on Friday, killing a Turkish security guard.
A woman, reportedly a journalist, was critically injured.
The assailant also died during the blast.
Turkey’s government has named him as Ecevit Sanli, a member of outlawed far-left group the DHKP.
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said the attack is the latest in a series of terrorist acts threatening peace in Turkey:
“All these attacks are against prosperity and peace in our country. As we have said since the beginning, we have to fight against terrorism together all over the world,” Erdogan said.
The US state department is investigating the incident in cooperation with the Turkish authorities.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Ukraine police on alert as violence erupts at pro-Russia demo
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan
- 21:34 CET Latin American foreign ministers to discuss Venezuela unrest
- 21:26 CET Turkey’s former army chief freed from prison
- 21:03 CET Netanyahu says Israel would give up ‘some settlements’ for peace
- 20:45 CET Iran, world powers hold ‘substantive and useful’ nuclear talks
- 20:44 CET Yemen names new oil and interior ministers – state news agency
- 20:40 CET U.S. State Department says June deadline on Syria chemical weapons…
- 19:58 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis-media