Forget Beijing, India’s largest city New Delhi is suffering far worse air pollution.
The New York Times reports that a key measurement used to test air quality has found that it is more than twice as hazardous in Delhi as in the Chinese capital.
Earlier this week, a separate Indian measure also showed record levels of air pollution.
The renewed attention over smog in Asian cities comes after a blanket of thick, noxious cloud covered Beijing.
The hazard prompted the Chinese government to order cars off the roads and temporarily close factories.
Referring to the pollution in Delhi, environmental scientist Anumita Roy Choudhary warned that the toxic haze could start to cause serious respiratory ailments:
“How severe the smog is going to be will depend entirely on the level of pollution that you are generating in the city and that is becoming really impossible,” Choudhary said.
“If you look at the pollution sources in Delhi, what is increasing very rapidly are the vehicles. But you do have other sources, there are power plants, there is industry, there are open burning problems,” she added.
Delhi is not the only city growing faster than nature can cope with. The World Health Organisation lists six Indian metro areas among the world’s 10 most polluted:
The government is working on a new plan to improve air quality but it is unlikely to be implemented for months, if not years.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Islamic State militants threaten US over air strikes in Iraq
- 2Orange alert: Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption
- 3Islamic State militants ‘behead’ US reporter in video
- 4James Foley ‘beheading’: UK’s Cameron in emergency meetings
- 5Urban warfare as Ukraine forces move in on rebel strongholds
- 1Orange alert: Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption
- 2Islamic State militants threaten US over air strikes in Iraq
- 3Missing Liberian Ebola patients found as ZMapp raises hope of a cure
- 4Donetsk rebels stand firm as Kyiv blames them for the continuing violence
- 5Ukrainian army enters Luhansk in heavy fighting
- 1Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Putin says Moscow does not want war or confrontation
- 4Orange alert: Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption
- 5Ukraine’s aid reaches east as Russian convoy remains stalled
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Air Algerie loses contact with plane from Ouagadougou to Algiers | euronews, world news
- 4Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 5Malta opera star Joseph Calleja’s summer concert draws big crowd | euronews, le mag
- 6Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner | euronews, world news
- 7Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 9Hong Kong gets smart on mobility | euronews, urban visions
- 10Portugal hopes to become a pensioner’s paradise with zero tax offer | euronews, reporter
- 11Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 12Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk | euronews, interview
- 13Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 14Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 15A robot that grows | euronews, futuris
- 16EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 18Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 19Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
- 20Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:26 CET Iranian parliament sacks minister, in setback for Rouhani
- 19:19 CET ICRC says seized aid workers in western Afghanistan freed
- 18:52 CET IAEA report to show Iran meeting nuclear deal terms – diplomats
- 18:36 CET Liberian police fire live bullets to disperse Ebola protest
- 18:25 CET Libya restarts oil exports from biggest port as fighting rages in…
- 18:19 CET Juppe joins race for French presidency in challenge to Sarkozy
- 17:59 CET Dozens injured in Central African Republic capital as militia…
- 17:48 CET Ebola fears slowing tourist flow to Africa