The 47th edition of the Super Bowl takes place on Sunday and pits the San Francisco 49ers against the Baltimore Ravens in New Orleans, Louisiana.
But as like in previous years the build up to the most watched US telecast is not all about the teams, players and coaches.
At a cost of about four million dollars for 30 seconds highly-anticipated Super bowl adverts are creating quite the buzz as companies also look to cash in on the championship game.
Ann Mukherjee, senior vice president and chief marketing officer of Frito-La North America, said: ‘‘This is the holy grail of advertising. And so when you get on that stage and everyone is watching, it’s almost a sport in itself, advertising. And when you come out a winner, you are just as big as the team that won the Super Bowl itself right, so its huge.’‘
Due to the stratospheric cost of placing an ad it’s usually the same advertisers involved every year.
And although celebrities and humour remain the tried, tested and successful theme businesses are now including social media in the mix not only to promote the product before and after the game but also to gage viewers reactions to the ads during the match.
Peter Shankman, Marketing consultant and CEO of Geek factory said: ‘‘You’ll know immediately if your ad has any sort of success by whether or not it’s trending on Twitter. Twitter is a boon for advertisers in the respect that they can see in real time if that ad is working, what people are saying and of course Twitter’s top trending lists right to the right on the homepage of Twitter show you what’s working and what’s not.’‘
Sunday’s game promises a television audience of over 100 million people and despite the cost of some 4 million dollars per 30 seconds most advertisers and viewers will agree that its money definitely well spent.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Champions League: Holders Real Madrid get title defence off to winning start
- 2Euro2020: London and Munich go head to head for finals package
- 3Bayern Munich and Man City prepare for Champions League clash
- 4Historic day for Atletico in Madrid derby
- 5Born to run? How our genes affect our sporting talent
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 9New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 12#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 15Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 16Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 23:17 CET Voigt sets new hour record
- 23:03 CET R&A allows women members after overwhelming ‘yes’ vote
- 22:02 CET Red tape cleared for Saints’ Senegalese striker
- 21:59 CET UEFA rules doctors must decide in cases of concussion
- 21:23 CET Soudani powers home swift Europa League hat-trick for Dinamo
- 21:02 CET Frustrated Alonso defends Ferrari brand and seeks unity
- 20:42 CET UEFA lifts ban on Israeli home fixtures
- 19:18 CET San Siro to host 2016 Champions League final