A suicide bombing at the US embassy in Turkey’s capital Ankara has killed one security guard and injured several people.
The blast targeted a side entrance, where people queue for visa applications.
Interior Minister Muammer Guler said the bomber, who killed himself and a guard, was believed to have been a Turkish citizen.
Guler said a woman was badly wounded in the attack and that two security guards were receiving out-patient care at a hospital.
Ankara Governor Alaaddin Yuksel said the attacker was inside US property when the explosives were detonated. The blast sent masonry spewing out of the wall of the side entrance, but there did not appear to be any more significant structural damage.
It is not clear who was responsible. Islamist radicals, far-left groups, far-right groups and Kurdish separatist militants have all carried out attacks in Turkey in the past.
The US Embassy in Benghazi was targeted by Islamist militants in September and four Americans were killed.
Security has been stepped up at other foreign embassies around the Turkish capital.
US Ambassador Francis Ricciardone said: “We are very sad of course that we lost one of our Turkish guards at the gate.” He thanked the Turkish authorities for a prompt response.
“It was a huge explosion. I was sitting in my shop when it happened. I saw what looked like a body part on the ground,” said travel agent Kamiyar Barnos whose shop window was shattered around 100 metres away from the blast.
One witness said the blast was audible a mile away.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 2German intelligence report blames pro-Russian rebels for MH17 crash
- 3‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 4Total boss dies in Moscow air crash
- 5Total oil CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in Moscow plane crash; snowplough driver was ‘drunk’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 10Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 00:57 CET Chilean president’s landmark education reform passes first hurdle
- 00:07 CET Insight – In Afghan north, Taliban gains ground and courts local…
- 23:51 CET North Korea unexpectedly frees American Jeffrey Fowle
- 23:17 CET Rival Libyan PM meets Turkish envoy in first known meeting with…
- 21:40 CET Canada police say they were tracking man who killed a soldier
- 20:49 CET Egypt sentences to death seven suspected members of Ansar Bayt…
- 19:00 CET Poland’s speaker backs down from claim Putin proposed dividing…
- 18:54 CET War heroes and activists to shape new-look Ukraine parliament