A growing number of sex attacks against women protesting in Cairo’s Tahrir Square has alarmed rights groups in the city.
During a recent mass demonstration as many as 30 women suffered harassment and abuse, with one woman sexually assaulted with a knife.
The attacks follow a similar pattern.
Women are isolated and surrounded by groups of men who grope and abuse them, then attempt to remove their clothes.
Reports suggest such attacks are well planned and the mobs that carry them out are paid in order to
discourage women from taking part in protests.
Salma Tarzi is from the Operation Anti-Sexual Harassment/Assault group:
“In the past couple of months when we had big demonstrations, we had very severe and aggressive attacks. Our goal today is to try to stop the harrassment before it happens.”
Mixed-gender volunteer teams now patrol the square to assist any woman who comes under attack.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 2New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 3Israel launches airstrike on Gaza in apparent retaliation for rocket attack
- 4New “muzzle” law sparks protests across Spain
- 5‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 1Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 2Israel launches airstrike on Gaza in apparent retaliation for rocket attack
- 3Australian mother arrested after eight children stabbed to death
- 4Kyiv terror plot foiled, says Ukrainian security service
- 5Obama says Sony made a “mistake” in cancelling movie over cyber threats
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Thailand’s Princess Srirasmi renounces royal status and will divorce
- 3Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 4Left-wing extremists run riot in upscale Zurich, Switzerland
- 5Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 9Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 10Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 17Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:07 CET Analysis – New leadership seeks to rebuild EU self-confidence
- 11:03 CET Gunman kills two New York police officers in possible revenge…
- 10:35 CET Tunisians vote in historic presidential run-off
- 10:11 CET Russia growls across the border as Lithuania readies for euro
- 09:55 CET Afghan Taliban decry ‘biased’ U.N. report on civilian casualties
- 08:19 CET Seoul prosecutors investigate data leak at nuclear plant operator
- 08:11 CET Cuba’s famed cigars get a foot in door of U.S. market
- 07:56 CET Australian PM Abbott reshuffles cabinet to focus on jobs, families