A growing number of sex attacks against women protesting in Cairo’s Tahrir Square has alarmed rights groups in the city.
During a recent mass demonstration as many as 30 women suffered harassment and abuse, with one woman sexually assaulted with a knife.
The attacks follow a similar pattern.
Women are isolated and surrounded by groups of men who grope and abuse them, then attempt to remove their clothes.
Reports suggest such attacks are well planned and the mobs that carry them out are paid in order to
discourage women from taking part in protests.
Salma Tarzi is from the Operation Anti-Sexual Harassment/Assault group:
“In the past couple of months when we had big demonstrations, we had very severe and aggressive attacks. Our goal today is to try to stop the harrassment before it happens.”
Mixed-gender volunteer teams now patrol the square to assist any woman who comes under attack.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 23:20 CET Portugal ex-PM Socrates still in custody, more questioning on…
- 22:42 CET Multi-national crew blasts off for space station
- 22:32 CET France’s Hollande made left-wing voters feel betrayed – ex-partner
- 21:37 CET No easy ‘plan B’ for Iran if nuclear talks with major powers…
- 21:01 CET Polish opposition says local poll result ‘dishonest’
- 20:12 CET Tunisians vote for first freely elected president of post-Ben Ali…
- 19:54 CET Iranian-British woman jailed over sport protest released on bail
- 19:48 CET Police in Tobago investigate murder of German couple on beach