A growing number of sex attacks against women protesting in Cairo’s Tahrir Square has alarmed rights groups in the city.
During a recent mass demonstration as many as 30 women suffered harassment and abuse, with one woman sexually assaulted with a knife.
The attacks follow a similar pattern.
Women are isolated and surrounded by groups of men who grope and abuse them, then attempt to remove their clothes.
Reports suggest such attacks are well planned and the mobs that carry them out are paid in order to
discourage women from taking part in protests.
Salma Tarzi is from the Operation Anti-Sexual Harassment/Assault group:
“In the past couple of months when we had big demonstrations, we had very severe and aggressive attacks. Our goal today is to try to stop the harrassment before it happens.”
Mixed-gender volunteer teams now patrol the square to assist any woman who comes under attack.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian artillery fire thwarts rebel plan to surround government troops in Debaltseve
- 244 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 3Gunman interrupts Dutch broadcast to demand airtime before being arrested
- 4‘Positive signs’ Greece will work together with lenders to reach deal
- 5At least 27 dead in militant attacks in Egypt’s North Sinai province
- 1French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 2Council of Europe suspends Russian voting rights over Ukraine
- 3What’s the link between WW1 and Hungary’s 675,000 new citizens?
- 4Memories of rebel control in Kramatorsk
- 5Prisoner exchange in eastern Ukraine, as witnessed by euronews
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 3French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 4No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 5Thailand: Army urges respect for Yingluck Shinawatra impeachment
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 15HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 16NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:42 CET Romney opts against 2016 run for president
- 17:36 CET Greece says will not cooperate with troika or seek aid extension
- 16:44 CET Hezbollah – we don’t want war with Israel but do not fear it
- 16:08 CET Egypt’s Sisi cuts short Ethiopia visit after 32 killed in Sinai
- 15:40 CET Islamic State attacks Kurdish outposts across Iraq
- 15:31 CET Italy lawmakers fail again to elect a new president
- 15:30 CET Blast at Shi’ite mosque in southern Pakistan kills 49
- 15:03 CET Greece should follow EU line on Russia – EU’s Schulz