A growing number of sex attacks against women protesting in Cairo’s Tahrir Square has alarmed rights groups in the city.
During a recent mass demonstration as many as 30 women suffered harassment and abuse, with one woman sexually assaulted with a knife.
The attacks follow a similar pattern.
Women are isolated and surrounded by groups of men who grope and abuse them, then attempt to remove their clothes.
Reports suggest such attacks are well planned and the mobs that carry them out are paid in order to
discourage women from taking part in protests.
Salma Tarzi is from the Operation Anti-Sexual Harassment/Assault group:
“In the past couple of months when we had big demonstrations, we had very severe and aggressive attacks. Our goal today is to try to stop the harrassment before it happens.”
Mixed-gender volunteer teams now patrol the square to assist any woman who comes under attack.
- 1Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 2Croatia celebrates 20th anniversary of ‘Operation Storm’
- 3Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
- 4German state and judiciary square up over treason probe
- 5UK extends Tornado air campaign against ISIL in Iraq
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 4Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 5Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Dudamel’s gift of Beethoven to brotherly Bogota
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Missing MH370: analysis of wing part due to begin in France
Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
India: more than 20 dead in double train derailment
Israel approves detention without trial in crackdown on Jewish extremists
Appeal for international aid as floods kill hundreds in Myanmar and India
Wires > News
- 11:10 CET China, ASEAN agree to speed up consultations on South China Sea…
- 11:04 CET Turkish reporters face jail for publishing photo – media
- 10:41 CET Two Chinese ‘left behind’ children die in suspected murder
- 09:55 CET India floods derail trains, killing 21 people, as focus turns to…
- 09:18 CET Japan minister’s nuclear comments spark new row over security bills
- 09:16 CET Italian foreign minister invites Iran’s Rouhani to Rome – IRNA
- 09:08 CET Pakistan’s secret military courts given Supreme Court blessing
- 09:04 CET Nepal villagers recover remains of 17 missing people