There has been a powerful explosion at a skyscraper in the heart of Mexico City that has left at least 25 people dead and injured 100 more.
Dozens of other employees are reported to be trapped inside the building.
It happened at the headquarters of Mexico’s giant oil company Pemex as staff were preparing to leave work for the day.
One employee emerged from the 50-storey building to say it felt like an earthquake had struck.
Emergency services cordoned off the area around the building.
It is the latest in a series of fatal safety incidents to have hit Mexico’s oil monopoly.
One rescue worker thought the blast was due to a gas build-up. Another report suggested that a machinery room on the lower floors of the skyscraper had blown up.
Mexico’s interior minister visited the scene and warned that the number of dead could rise.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 1Topless FEMEN protesters storm German football TV show
- 2Britain’s Queen Elizabeth goes nuts over nibbles at Buckingham Palace
- 3Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 4North Korea outrage over behaviour of Kim Jong-un’s uncle
- 5CCTV footage of suicide bomb attack on Yemen Defence Ministry released
- 1Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 2Former Thai prime minister charged with murder
- 3Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 4Social networks respond to mystery sign language and Obama ‘selfie’ at Mandela memorial
- 5US considers sanctions against Ukraine as Yanukovych’s offer of talks with the opposition is rejected
- 16:26 CET Man accused of murdering British soldier opts not to give evidence
- 16:21 CET Italy moves to end state financing of parties, help economy
- 16:19 CET Iran nuclear talks hit snag after U.S. sanctions move
- 16:15 CET Zimbabwe’s ageing Mugabe says party will choose successor
- 16:09 CET No threat to tight grip in Turkmenistan from multi-party vote
- 16:02 CET Kerry says he expects Iran nuclear talks to continue shortly
- 16:00 CET Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood turns to sisters in fight against state
- 15:57 CET Rwandan court extends jail term of opposition politician