Diego Maradona has not been pardoned over tax debts in Italy despite the Argentine’s lawyer announcing earlier on Friday his client had been cleared by the financial authorities.
The footballing legend owes the Italian tax office some 40 million euros of which a staggering 36 million was interest built up since 1984, when Maradona joined Serie A club Napoli and where he is still considered a hero.
Italian authorities have long pursued the 52-year-old, who is considered one of the greatest players of all time and on Friday issued a statement saying it had not “annulled, declared extinct, nor modified” Maradona’s debts.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 01:12 CET New engine, new rules and new sound for F1 in 2014
- 01:11 CET Ricciardo ready to take the Bull by the horns
- 01:10 CET Magnussen and Kvyat join the F1 fast track
- 01:09 CET Bribery case hangs over Formula One boss Ecclestone
- 01:08 CET Fire and ice pairing will keep Ferrari busy
- 01:06 CET F1 revolution threatens Vettel’s throne
- 21:40 CET Root doubtful for World T20 with thumb injury
- 21:23 CET Chelsea winger Hazard likely to be fit for London derby