Diego Maradona has not been pardoned over tax debts in Italy despite the Argentine’s lawyer announcing earlier on Friday his client had been cleared by the financial authorities.
The footballing legend owes the Italian tax office some 40 million euros of which a staggering 36 million was interest built up since 1984, when Maradona joined Serie A club Napoli and where he is still considered a hero.
Italian authorities have long pursued the 52-year-old, who is considered one of the greatest players of all time and on Friday issued a statement saying it had not “annulled, declared extinct, nor modified” Maradona’s debts.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 13:15 CET Indian shuttler Kashyap hopes to be on song in Glasgow
- 13:13 CET Lambie back at flyhalf as Sharks shuffle team
- 11:29 CET Olympic champion Farah pulls out of Commonwealth Games
- 11:02 CET England’s early World Cup exit hits UK pub operators
- 10:05 CET White’s influence writ large on Super Rugby semis
- 08:59 CET ICC rejects 2018 offer, cricket stays out of Commonwealth Games
- 08:05 CET South Korea fall back on TV pundit to pick next coach
- 06:48 CET Bolt says his best is yet to come