Diego Maradona has not been pardoned over tax debts in Italy despite the Argentine’s lawyer announcing earlier on Friday his client had been cleared by the financial authorities.
The footballing legend owes the Italian tax office some 40 million euros of which a staggering 36 million was interest built up since 1984, when Maradona joined Serie A club Napoli and where he is still considered a hero.
Italian authorities have long pursued the 52-year-old, who is considered one of the greatest players of all time and on Friday issued a statement saying it had not “annulled, declared extinct, nor modified” Maradona’s debts.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 19:55 CET Argentine FA chief Grondona dies – reports
- 19:44 CET Nadal withdraws from Toronto, Cincinnati with injury
- 18:52 CET U.S. man sues soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo over CR7 trademark
- 18:40 CET Greece’s Moras donates bone marrow to brother
- 18:09 CET Greek league recruits Scottish former referee Dallas
- 16:56 CET Belkin strike it lucky with Dutch lottery sponsorship
- 15:58 CET If Russia lose belief in me, I will quit – Capello
- 14:44 CET Kallis quits ODI cricket months before World Cup