Diego Maradona has not been pardoned over tax debts in Italy despite the Argentine’s lawyer announcing earlier on Friday his client had been cleared by the financial authorities.
The footballing legend owes the Italian tax office some 40 million euros of which a staggering 36 million was interest built up since 1984, when Maradona joined Serie A club Napoli and where he is still considered a hero.
Italian authorities have long pursued the 52-year-old, who is considered one of the greatest players of all time and on Friday issued a statement saying it had not “annulled, declared extinct, nor modified” Maradona’s debts.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 07:22 CET Former Dutch midfielder Boateng gets coaching debut in Malaysia
- 05:34 CET Phelps beaten in first comeback final
- 05:02 CET Moyes left all at sea by scale of United job, says former coach
- 03:06 CET Imola still a shock 20 years on for Hill
- 02:52 CET World Cup stadium delays affect ticket availability – FIFA
- 02:50 CET Former world downhill champion Kucera retires
- 02:50 CET For Mosley, safety is Senna’s lasting legacy
- 02:17 CET Unheralded Ratzenberger, gone but never forgotten