French and Malian forces retook Timbuktu and Gao this week, removing control of the Niger River Bend from jihadist militants. The population greeted the development with joy, Italian RAI2 television reported.
The French army forced the Islamists out of north Mali but hundreds of thousands of refugees won’t be able to go home for some time. Russian RTR television reported on them.
The main market of Gao is very near the spot where the Islamists whipped people or staged public amputations, for transgressions of their reading of the Koran. French television France2 reported.
Troops from Chad have come to Mali to take up the tasks performed by the French, among those with a mission that has become even more difficult in that the jihadists have faded out of sight, a concern for Niger, Swiss TSR television reported.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 5Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
A daring seven kilometre swim across the hazardous Aegean Sea by one Syrian migrant.
Action by European states to welcome refugees from Syria and Iraq
The Chernobyl disaster of 30 years ago remembered across Europe
Music and maths to show solidarity with refugees who arrive in Europe
Panama Papers lessons
Wires > News
- 20:01 CET Clashes at French protests, union warns of Euro football disruption
- 19:48 CET U.N. panel rejects press freedom watchdog accreditation request
- 19:40 CET Son of Equatorial Guinea leader may face French corruption trial
- 19:21 CET Italian mayor breaks with PM’s party over lack of help for migrants
- 18:59 CET Egypt rights activist says banned from travel
- 18:28 CET Australian family facing deportation highlights UK immigration…
- 18:16 CET Trump, Le Pen, Brexiteer Johnson dubbed a ‘horror’ show as …
- 17:38 CET Afghanistan sees Taliban leader as rigid conservative uninterested…