French and Malian forces retook Timbuktu and Gao this week, removing control of the Niger River Bend from jihadist militants. The population greeted the development with joy, Italian RAI2 television reported.
The French army forced the Islamists out of north Mali but hundreds of thousands of refugees won’t be able to go home for some time. Russian RTR television reported on them.
The main market of Gao is very near the spot where the Islamists whipped people or staged public amputations, for transgressions of their reading of the Koran. French television France2 reported.
Troops from Chad have come to Mali to take up the tasks performed by the French, among those with a mission that has become even more difficult in that the jihadists have faded out of sight, a concern for Niger, Swiss TSR television reported.
- 1Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 4Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
- 5More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
A daring seven kilometre swim across the hazardous Aegean Sea by one Syrian migrant.
Action by European states to welcome refugees from Syria and Iraq
The Chernobyl disaster of 30 years ago remembered across Europe
Music and maths to show solidarity with refugees who arrive in Europe
Panama Papers lessons
Wires > News
- 16:36 CET Italy navy says migrant boat flipped, five dead
- 16:32 CET Insight – ‘Living in Germany’: a testing time for Merkel’s migrants
- 16:29 CET French, Italian firms to help search for EgyptAir black boxes
- 16:15 CET Japan PM protests against Okinawa incident at summit with Obama
- 16:01 CET Mugabe supporters rally in Zimbabwe amid tensions over succession
- 15:59 CET Trump, aiming to offset money disadvantage, escalates Clinton…
- 15:33 CET Israeli rights group accuses military of whitewashing soldiers‘…
- 15:15 CET Merkel says more time needed on EU-Turkey visa deal