French and Malian forces retook Timbuktu and Gao this week, removing control of the Niger River Bend from jihadist militants. The population greeted the development with joy, Italian RAI2 television reported.
The French army forced the Islamists out of north Mali but hundreds of thousands of refugees won’t be able to go home for some time. Russian RTR television reported on them.
The main market of Gao is very near the spot where the Islamists whipped people or staged public amputations, for transgressions of their reading of the Koran. French television France2 reported.
Troops from Chad have come to Mali to take up the tasks performed by the French, among those with a mission that has become even more difficult in that the jihadists have faded out of sight, a concern for Niger, Swiss TSR television reported.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
Wires > News
- 03:04 CET Afghan insurgents launch late-night attack on Kabul guesthouse
- 01:23 CET Libyan prime minister says survives assassination attempt
- 23:42 CET Iran nuclear deal unlikely by June 30 – French envoy
- 22:59 CET China to extend military reach, build lighthouses in disputed…
- 22:58 CET Rocket fired from Gaza lands near Israeli port Ashdod – police
- 21:44 CET Italian mafia boss arrested in Brazil after 30 years on the run
- 21:09 CET Libya’s premier Thinni says he survived assassination attempt
- 21:09 CET Syria says carries out deadly air raid on Islamic State stronghold