The French President Francois Hollande is on his way to Mali tonight in support of French and Malian troops engaged in battle against Islamist rebels.
But his trip risks being overshadowed by claims that the French-led offensive has resulted in civilian deaths and allegations of ethnic reprisals by Malian troops.
Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, cite eyewitness reports of extrajudicial killings by Malian soldiers of dozens of civilians in the central towns of Sevare and Konna.
France has deployed more than 3,500 ground forces to wrest control of northern Mali’s towns from an al Qaeda-linked alliance.
The Malian military has denied any reprisal killings by its soldiers while France says none of its helicopters have targeted any area inside the town of Konna.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 3Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 4Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 5Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:15 CET Tropical fly-borne illness reported near Damascus – WHO
- 11:14 CET Namibia’s ruling SWAPO party set to dominate Friday poll
- 11:12 CET Hong Kong student leaders banned from Mong Kok protest site
- 11:06 CET Nine injured in south China knife attack
- 10:58 CET Suicide bomber kills five in attack on British embassy car in…
- 10:40 CET EU expects stable gas supply even as Russian shipments yet to start
- 10:36 CET Myanmar’s Suu Kyi woos military lawmakers ahead of talks on…
- 10:04 CET Militants attack Indian base in Kashmir region, three dead