The French President Francois Hollande is on his way to Mali tonight in support of French and Malian troops engaged in battle against Islamist rebels.
But his trip risks being overshadowed by claims that the French-led offensive has resulted in civilian deaths and allegations of ethnic reprisals by Malian troops.
Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, cite eyewitness reports of extrajudicial killings by Malian soldiers of dozens of civilians in the central towns of Sevare and Konna.
France has deployed more than 3,500 ground forces to wrest control of northern Mali’s towns from an al Qaeda-linked alliance.
The Malian military has denied any reprisal killings by its soldiers while France says none of its helicopters have targeted any area inside the town of Konna.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Afghanistan: Fifty dead after suicide attack during volleyball match
- 2Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 3Deadly floods in southern Morocco
- 4Femen lay bare their naked opposition to papal visit
- 5Violence erupts after policeman avoids charges over black teenager’s death
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 04:39 CET Pakistan under pressure to save trade agenda at South Asia summit
- 03:55 CET Young sister of North Korean leader takes senior party post: KCNA
- 03:48 CET Exclusive – Japan eyes military aid to spur defence exports, build…
- 03:30 CET Special Report – How China’s shadowy agency is working to absorb…
- 02:01 CET Stigma and isolation haunt South Korean families of convicted…
- 01:57 CET Taiwan vote tests waters for pro-China government ahead of…
- 01:08 CET MPs urge EU to stop Sri Lanka trade perks if U.N. probe not given…
- 22:15 CET U.N. peacekeepers from Ukraine detained in Congo over uniforms