The French President Francois Hollande is on his way to Mali tonight in support of French and Malian troops engaged in battle against Islamist rebels.
But his trip risks being overshadowed by claims that the French-led offensive has resulted in civilian deaths and allegations of ethnic reprisals by Malian troops.
Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, cite eyewitness reports of extrajudicial killings by Malian soldiers of dozens of civilians in the central towns of Sevare and Konna.
France has deployed more than 3,500 ground forces to wrest control of northern Mali’s towns from an al Qaeda-linked alliance.
The Malian military has denied any reprisal killings by its soldiers while France says none of its helicopters have targeted any area inside the town of Konna.
- 1Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 2Ukrainian separatist warlord dies in bomb blast
- 3At least 400 killed by ISIL in Palmyra – Syrian TV
- 4Poland’s Komorowski concedes defeat to rival Duda in presidential poll
- 5Russia introduces a new law against “undesirable” NGOs
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 12:47 CET Greece reiterates it has responsibility to make debt payments
- 12:33 CET Tunisian soldier shot dead after opening fire on colleagues…
- 12:27 CET Polish opposition cheers presidential vote win, markets uneasy
- 12:23 CET U.N. urges Lebanon to pick president, end political vacuum
- 12:05 CET About 100 U.S., European jets join Arctic exercise near Russia
- 12:01 CET Taliban truck bomb hits government offices in southern…
- 11:47 CET Indonesian minister fears govt sabotage in contaminated rice scare
- 10:38 CET Heavy fighting in Yemen’s south, aide says talks postponed