France has inked a landmark agreement with Google, under which the web giant will pay 60 million euros into a new fund to help media outlets increase their online revenue.
In return, French publishers will stop pushing Google to pay them for posting links to their content.
The firm’s Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt came to Paris to seal the deal with French President François Hollande.
Hollande had threatened to draft a law forcing the tech giant to pay media for linking to their content if a solution was not found.
The President said he was proud the two sides had finally resolved a long-running dispute:
“The fund will help our press adapt to the digital age. It will also help investment and innovation, which is good for the French press, for content and also for Google,” Hollande said.
France’s agreement with Google is the first of its kind on such a scale, although the company settled a similar dispute with Belgian publishers last month.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 3Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 4‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 5Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 1[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 547 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
Wires > News
- 06:36 CET Over half of China military airfields threatened by high-rises
- 06:28 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 06:00 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 05:59 CET Impossible to determine cause of South Korea ferry businessman’s…
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.
- 04:18 CET Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali
- 03:34 CET Shelling of Gaza school kills at least 15; toll nears 800
- 03:24 CET Al Jazeera journalists jailed in Egypt say they will appeal