The motor industry has been gearing up for the Washington Auto Show, one of the biggest car events in North America.
When the public walk through the doors later they will see an industry that is back at full throttle, with analysts predicting new vehicle registrations in the US will be six and a half per cent higher this year than last.
Megan Gillam from the Lincoln Motor Company told euronews: “Particularly in the luxury industry, we are seeing a lot of growth and we can expect that the luxury market will grow even more quickly in 2013 than the total vehicle market as a whole.”
There is an emphasis on smaller cars and new technology aimed at making President Obama’s goal of increasing fuel economy.
Even so, it is the gas-guzzling SUVs that still dominate – Chrysler-Fiat which owns the Jeep badge, sold nearly half a million of them last year.
Our Washington correspondent Stefan Grobe reported from the show: “There is a lot of optimism, especially among European carmakers. Some executives told us they were well-prepared for the reawakening of the SUV market. Believing they have superior technology, they are confident they can increase their US market-share.”
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1EU call for unity as Spain and Portugal enter war of words with Greece
- 2Interview: The consequences of Boris Nemtsov’s murder
- 3Female pilot jailed in Russia proclaimed a ‘hero of Ukraine’
- 4Skydiver has lucky escape after seizure at 9,000 feet
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 3Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 4Stand-off at ‘anti-Islamisation’ march in north-east England
- 5Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:36 CET Exclusive – Obama says Iran must halt key nuclear work for at…
- 00:32 CET Obama, Israel’s Netanyahu clash over Iran diplomacy
- 00:25 CET Somali-American on FBI watch list detained in Somalia: source
- 23:42 CET Cuba signals readiness to fast-track U.S. diplomatic ties
- 23:38 CET Bomb near top Cairo court house kills two; other blasts hit capital
- 23:23 CET Exclusive – Obama hopes for U.S. embassy in Cuba before April…
- 23:20 CET Exclusive – Obama defends lack of ‘Plan B’ for Obamacare court case
- 23:19 CET Exclusive – Nemtsov killing sign of worsening climate in Russia…