01/02/13 11:21 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
There has been a deadly explosion on board a truck carrying fireworks on a main highway in central China.
At least six people are reported to have died, and up to a dozen more injured, in the blast which destroyed an 80-metre long section of a bridge in Henan province.
The initial death toll given by state authorities had been much higher.
Several vehicles plummeted some 30-metres to the ground. Some reports says many cars were thrown over the edge by the force of the blast, the cause of which remains unclear.
Fireworks explosions, however, are common in China, especially around the Chinese new year holiday period, due to quality control problems and poor safety standards.
Latest world news
Rescuers publish image of drowned migrant baby
Turkey: Muslim families should forget birth control says Erdogan
Libya migrant route does roaring trade in absence of authority
Great Barrier Reef bleaching kills ’35% of coral’ in northern and central section
Ex-Chad president sentenced to life in prison for crimes against humanity
Wires > News
- 17:03 CET Japan puts military on alert for possible North Korea missile…
- 16:48 CET Turkey’s Erdogan – No Muslim family should engage in birth control
- 16:36 CET Big cats removed from Thailand’s infamous Tiger Temple
- 16:35 CET Brother of Paris attacker on trial over militant training
- 16:20 CET Bodies of U.S. climbers left on Tibetan peak out of respect
- 16:16 CET Mauritius ramps up security after gunshots fired on French embassy
- 15:53 CET Former Chad president Habre found guilty of crimes against humanity
- 15:49 CET Four people killed in flooding and storms in southwestern Germany