There has been a deadly explosion on board a truck carrying fireworks on a main highway in central China.
At least six people are reported to have died, and up to a dozen more injured, in the blast which destroyed an 80-metre long section of a bridge in Henan province.
The initial death toll given by state authorities had been much higher.
Several vehicles plummeted some 30-metres to the ground. Some reports says many cars were thrown over the edge by the force of the blast, the cause of which remains unclear.
Fireworks explosions, however, are common in China, especially around the Chinese new year holiday period, due to quality control problems and poor safety standards.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 1Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 2Former Thai prime minister charged with murder
- 3Social networks respond to mystery sign language and Obama ‘selfie’ at Mandela memorial
- 4Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 5US considers sanctions against Ukraine as Yanukovych’s offer of talks with the opposition is rejected
- 1Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 2Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 3Riot police raid Kyiv’s central square
- 4What’s God got to do with it?, asks Nobel Prize in Physics winner
- 5Italy: ‘Pitchfork protesters’ disrupt road and rail travel in protest at state of economy
- 23:22 CET Tunisia’s Islamists and opposition reach deal on premier
- 22:24 CET White House bid to hold off Iran sanctions gains backing
- 21:15 CET U.S. vows support for Syrian opposition despite troubles
- 21:05 CET Mafia death threat shows Italy still haunted by 1992 murders
- 20:59 CET Three accused in 1998 U.S. embassy bombings to face joint trial
- 20:40 CET Somali president names economist as new prime minister
- 20:38 CET Catalonia sets referendum date next year, Spain says no
- 20:34 CET Car bomb kills one police officer in Ismailia