There has been a deadly explosion on board a truck carrying fireworks on a main highway in central China.
At least six people are reported to have died, and up to a dozen more injured, in the blast which destroyed an 80-metre long section of a bridge in Henan province.
The initial death toll given by state authorities had been much higher.
Several vehicles plummeted some 30-metres to the ground. Some reports says many cars were thrown over the edge by the force of the blast, the cause of which remains unclear.
Fireworks explosions, however, are common in China, especially around the Chinese new year holiday period, due to quality control problems and poor safety standards.
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 23D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 3Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Syria: We believe that Russia has the wrong strategy, says US
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 20Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
Latest world news
Turning point for FIFA? Blatter crisis sparks calls for overhaul of football’s governing body
Tunisian National Dialogue Quartet wins 2015 Nobel Peace Prize
Ebola-infected Scottish nurse readmitted to hospital
New Horizons finds blue skies and water ice on Pluto
UN proposes unity government in Libya
Wires > News
- 14:00 CET Exclusive – EU set to suspend Belarus sanctions for four months…
- 13:55 CET Israeli-Palestinian violence intensifies; Arabs and Jews stabbed
- 13:28 CET Portugal Socialist leader, acting PM fail to agree on government…
- 13:17 CET Taxis parade once-empty streets of North Korean capital
- 13:12 CET China says U.S. human rights report biased
- 12:56 CET Refugee arrivals in Greece surge with bad weather ahead – IOM
- 12:38 CET Islamic State makes closest advance to Aleppo, Iranian killed
- 11:36 CET Swedish PM says asylum numbers could top 150,000 this year