In Cambodia thousands of people have turned out for the first of a four-day state funeral for the revered King Norodom Sihanouk.
The ceremony began with a royal procession where the King’s remains, encased in a golden ark, were brought out of the royal palace. It was then transported to a float and paraded along the capital’s main streets.
Sihanouk was 89 years old when he died of a heart attack in Beijing last year.
He had twice served as prime minister and was king twice before abdicating in 2004 in favour of his ballet-dancing son King Norodom Sihamoni, who is widely regarded as having ascended the throne reluctantly.
The procession will end in an area next to the Royal Palace where a cremation site has been established. The body of the former King will remain there for three days until its cremation on Monday.
Several heads of state and other foreign dignitaries are expected to attend.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1As it happened: Malaysia’s flight mystery remains as searches extended to Malacca Strait
- 2Ships and aircraft from ten countries continue search for missing Malaysia flight
- 3Malaysia plane: oil rig worker reports a “burning plane” as search continues
- 4Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 5Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 1Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 2As it happened: Malaysia’s flight mystery remains as searches extended to Malacca Strait
- 3Hijacking not ruled out as search for missing Malaysia Airlines jet enters third day
- 4Ships and aircraft from ten countries continue search for missing Malaysia flight
- 5Prayers for a miracle as the fate of missing Malaysia Airlines jet baffles the experts
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 3Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 4Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 5Hijacking not ruled out as search for missing Malaysia Airlines jet enters third day
Wires > News
- 21:46 CET Kerry says will decide shortly on resuming aid to Egypt
- 21:25 CET Rocket barrage from Gaza hits Israel, no one hurt -police
- 21:17 CET Thousands clash with police as Turkish teenager buried
- 21:16 CET Algerian premier to quit to run Bouteflika election campaign -…
- 21:15 CET Israel’s parliament toughens referendum-on-peace law
- 20:50 CET Assad visits displaced Syrians outside Damascus – TV
- 20:44 CET Somalia, peacekeepers launch offensive against militants – U.N.
- 20:01 CET EU ready to help Bosnia speed up reforms after protests – Ashton