In Cambodia thousands of people have turned out for the first of a four-day state funeral for the revered King Norodom Sihanouk.
The ceremony began with a royal procession where the King’s remains, encased in a golden ark, were brought out of the royal palace. It was then transported to a float and paraded along the capital’s main streets.
Sihanouk was 89 years old when he died of a heart attack in Beijing last year.
He had twice served as prime minister and was king twice before abdicating in 2004 in favour of his ballet-dancing son King Norodom Sihamoni, who is widely regarded as having ascended the throne reluctantly.
The procession will end in an area next to the Royal Palace where a cremation site has been established. The body of the former King will remain there for three days until its cremation on Monday.
Several heads of state and other foreign dignitaries are expected to attend.
- 1Hungary’s PM Orban slams plans for migrant quota fines
- 2Labour’s Sadiq Khan elected new Mayor of London, defeats Conservative Zac Goldsmith
- 3Turkish journalists sentenced for revealing state secrets
- 4Turkey won’t change anti-terror laws for EU visa-free travel – Erdogan
- 5Turkey: journalist speaks out against those ‘targeting’ him after Istanbul shooting
Latest world news
Brazil: Senate committee approves report recommending Rousseff’s impeachment
Turkish journalists sentenced for revealing state secrets
Hungary’s PM Orban slams plans for migrant quota fines
Labour’s Sadiq Khan elected new Mayor of London, defeats Conservative Zac Goldsmith
Turkey: journalist speaks out against those ‘targeting’ him after Istanbul shooting
Wires > News
- 01:05 CET Images show North Korea may be preparing 5th nuclear test – think…
- 01:04 CET EU’s Juncker sees refugee crisis at ‘turning point’
- 22:14 CET Turkish journalists jailed for five years, hours after courthouse…
- 20:38 CET Panama Papers source breaks silence, denies being a spy -…
- 20:27 CET China takes first step in $1 billion pledge to U.N. to fund peace…
- 20:25 CET Egypt gives Italy phone records of union chief – source
- 19:58 CET Russia says U.S.-Georgian military exercises could destabilise…
- 19:56 CET U.S. says it is committed to keeping Aleppo truce in place beyond…