In Cambodia thousands of people have turned out for the first of a four-day state funeral for the revered King Norodom Sihanouk.
The ceremony began with a royal procession where the King’s remains, encased in a golden ark, were brought out of the royal palace. It was then transported to a float and paraded along the capital’s main streets.
Sihanouk was 89 years old when he died of a heart attack in Beijing last year.
He had twice served as prime minister and was king twice before abdicating in 2004 in favour of his ballet-dancing son King Norodom Sihamoni, who is widely regarded as having ascended the throne reluctantly.
The procession will end in an area next to the Royal Palace where a cremation site has been established. The body of the former King will remain there for three days until its cremation on Monday.
Several heads of state and other foreign dignitaries are expected to attend.
- 1YPG militia alliance set to attack ISIL stronghold Raqqa “within weeks”
- 2Dutch PM calls on Russia to cooperate with MH17 probe
- 3Three Israelis killed in Jerusalem in day of violence
- 4Brussels wants Hungary’s answers over migrants crackdown
- 5Six-hundred-year-old Henry V warship ‘found in English river’
- 1Putin adds diplomatic strand to bolster Syrian air strikes
- 2Russian cruise missiles strikes prompt global aviation officials to issue safety alerts
- 3Russia tries to reassure Saudi Arabia over Syria air strikes
- 4Iraqi military claims to have killed several senior ISIL members including leader al – Baghdadi
- 5Belarus election: Lukashenko wins landslide of more than 80 percent – exit polls
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 11Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 12Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 13Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 18Kicked down in Hungary, saved by Spain
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > News
- 05:36 CET Japan, China agree to promote dialogue despite UNESCO dispute
- 05:35 CET British banker accused of HK double murder to stand trial in…
- 04:54 CET Sanders backs Clinton over email scandal, says time to move on
- 03:58 CET Rousseff accuses Brazil opposition of ‘coup-mongering’
- 02:52 CET Chile fires starting gun on new constitution
- 02:25 CET Kerry to visit Mideast in bid to calm Palestinian-Israeli tensions
- 02:20 CET Search in Guatemala landslide ends with 280 dead, 70 missing
- 00:33 CET Syria’s army, allies plan offensive against insurgents in Aleppo