In the French city of Angouleme thousands have turned up to celebrate the “9th Art” – that is how the French see cartoons. Fans of comic strips descend on the historic hilltop town each year and this February the festival marks its fortieth year.
All the favourite characters will be there while one will have special prominence – Asterix and the man who helped bring him to life Albert Uderzo.
His apartment in Paris is filled with his work – books of cartoons and of course rich memories of his creative life which included caricatures of such celebrities as famous French actor Bernard Blier.
“It seems he was not too pleased. I also included Sean Connery. I heard he was very flattered to be in an Asterix album,” he recalled.
There are of souvenirs of René Gosciny, his friend with whom he started Asterix as a series in French in the magazine Pilote in 1959. Gosciny was the wordsmith to Uderzo’s drawings.
The duo were inseparable and together they made Asterix a worldwide hit selling over 350 million copies. For a long time Uderzo thought “Asterix” should end after he stopped drawing, but he changed his mind.
“I owe it to the public, I owe it to them. It was the readers who made Asterix successful. I can’t take it upon myself to say there will be no more Asterix books just because I am not here. So I decided that two new authors, a writer and a cartoonist, should carry the torch into the future,” he said.
The two who were chosen to take over are Didier Conrad as the illustrator/artist and Jean-Yves Ferri as the writer.
“I saw their first works and obviously we feel it has not quite the sense of my style, but that will come very soon,” explained Uderzo.
The next Asterix without Uderzo’s participation will be released in the autumn while at the age of 85 and after over 70 years in cartoons Albert Uderzo will put his pencils and paint brushes in a drawer.
In Angouleme Uderzo will not be forgotten as the city has honoured him by naming a room in the town hall after him and there will be also a school named after the French cartoon star.
- 1Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
- 2Merkel faces call to resign amid migrant crisis criticism
- 3Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
- 4All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 5Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 11New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 12world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary