In the French city of Angouleme thousands have turned up to celebrate the “9th Art” – that is how the French see cartoons. Fans of comic strips descend on the historic hilltop town each year and this February the festival marks its fortieth year.
All the favourite characters will be there while one will have special prominence – Asterix and the man who helped bring him to life Albert Uderzo.
His apartment in Paris is filled with his work – books of cartoons and of course rich memories of his creative life which included caricatures of such celebrities as famous French actor Bernard Blier.
“It seems he was not too pleased. I also included Sean Connery. I heard he was very flattered to be in an Asterix album,” he recalled.
There are of souvenirs of René Gosciny, his friend with whom he started Asterix as a series in French in the magazine Pilote in 1959. Gosciny was the wordsmith to Uderzo’s drawings.
The duo were inseparable and together they made Asterix a worldwide hit selling over 350 million copies. For a long time Uderzo thought “Asterix” should end after he stopped drawing, but he changed his mind.
“I owe it to the public, I owe it to them. It was the readers who made Asterix successful. I can’t take it upon myself to say there will be no more Asterix books just because I am not here. So I decided that two new authors, a writer and a cartoonist, should carry the torch into the future,” he said.
The two who were chosen to take over are Didier Conrad as the illustrator/artist and Jean-Yves Ferri as the writer.
“I saw their first works and obviously we feel it has not quite the sense of my style, but that will come very soon,” explained Uderzo.
The next Asterix without Uderzo’s participation will be released in the autumn while at the age of 85 and after over 70 years in cartoons Albert Uderzo will put his pencils and paint brushes in a drawer.
In Angouleme Uderzo will not be forgotten as the city has honoured him by naming a room in the town hall after him and there will be also a school named after the French cartoon star.
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Aleppo: Germany and Turkey call on NATO for help with refugees
- 3Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 4New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 5Marijuana in the US: business booming, attitudes changing
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2US: Cars parked on frozen lake rescued after ice cracks
- 3Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 4Shame on you Europe. Silent heroes in France’s other ‘jungle’
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Partnering to grow Europe
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 13Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
latest le mag news
Russia’s Pussy Riot mocks prosecutor general Yury Chaika in new video
Maverick fashion designer John Varvatos: ‘Is rock dead?‘
Rachel Platten takes ‘Wildfire’ on tour
Jonathan Yeo adopts actress Cara Delevingne for new exhibition
Coldplay in hot water for using Indian culture in video