In the French city of Angouleme thousands have turned up to celebrate the “9th Art” – that is how the French see cartoons. Fans of comic strips descend on the historic hilltop town each year and this February the festival marks its fortieth year.
All the favourite characters will be there while one will have special prominence – Asterix and the man who helped bring him to life Albert Uderzo.
His apartment in Paris is filled with his work – books of cartoons and of course rich memories of his creative life which included caricatures of such celebrities as famous French actor Bernard Blier.
“It seems he was not too pleased. I also included Sean Connery. I heard he was very flattered to be in an Asterix album,” he recalled.
There are of souvenirs of René Gosciny, his friend with whom he started Asterix as a series in French in the magazine Pilote in 1959. Gosciny was the wordsmith to Uderzo’s drawings.
The duo were inseparable and together they made Asterix a worldwide hit selling over 350 million copies. For a long time Uderzo thought “Asterix” should end after he stopped drawing, but he changed his mind.
“I owe it to the public, I owe it to them. It was the readers who made Asterix successful. I can’t take it upon myself to say there will be no more Asterix books just because I am not here. So I decided that two new authors, a writer and a cartoonist, should carry the torch into the future,” he said.
The two who were chosen to take over are Didier Conrad as the illustrator/artist and Jean-Yves Ferri as the writer.
“I saw their first works and obviously we feel it has not quite the sense of my style, but that will come very soon,” explained Uderzo.
The next Asterix without Uderzo’s participation will be released in the autumn while at the age of 85 and after over 70 years in cartoons Albert Uderzo will put his pencils and paint brushes in a drawer.
In Angouleme Uderzo will not be forgotten as the city has honoured him by naming a room in the town hall after him and there will be also a school named after the French cartoon star.
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5French police hunt new suspect over Paris attacks
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 4Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 5ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
latest le mag news
The Dark Years – an exhibition in Berlin of art during the years of the Second World War
Pentatonix riding a wave of success
‘Madame Bovary’ and the danger inherent in art
‘Under Japanese influence’ Sukita’s Bowie photos on show
‘Hip-Hop Nutcracker’ Tchaikovsky meets urban street dance