Armenian presidential candidate, Paruyr Hayrikyan, has been shot by unknown gunmen at his home in the capital Yerevan.
Armenian Shans TV reported that gunmen fired two shots, wounding Hayrikyan with a bullet to his shoulder. His condition is not said to be life-threatening but the attack could delay this month’s election.
Hayrikan, 63, is one of eight candidates running, however he is not regarded as a strong challenger to the incumbent Serzh Sarksyan, who is expected to be re-elected for a second five-year term.
A former dissident, Hayrikan is the leader of a moderate opposition party, the National Selfdetermination Union.
According to Armenia’s constitution, the election could be postponed by two weeks if a candidate is unable to campaign or run. In the event of a candidate’s death, a new election is called, to be held within 40 days.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Expectations are low as ministers gather for Ukraine crisis talks in Geneva
- 5[Live] Ukraine: Yatseniuk accuses Putin of trying to sabotage presidential election
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 14:49 CET Taliban negotiator under house arrest in UAE, says Afghanistan
- 14:45 CET Death toll from Guinea Ebola outbreak rises to 122
- 14:13 CET Russia’s Putin fields question from U.S. fugitive Snowden
- 13:47 CET Divers struggle in search for Korean ferry survivors
- 13:35 CET Iran cuts sensitive nuclear stockpile, key plant delayed – IAEA
- 13:31 CET Nigeria local authorities say most of abducted schoolgirls still…
- 13:27 CET Reporters charged with defamation remanded on bail in Thailand
- 13:26 CET Cut off from the world, Gazans consumed by poverty