Armenian presidential candidate, Paruyr Hayrikyan, has been shot by unknown gunmen at his home in the capital Yerevan.
Armenian Shans TV reported that gunmen fired two shots, wounding Hayrikyan with a bullet to his shoulder. His condition is not said to be life-threatening but the attack could delay this month’s election.
Hayrikan, 63, is one of eight candidates running, however he is not regarded as a strong challenger to the incumbent Serzh Sarksyan, who is expected to be re-elected for a second five-year term.
A former dissident, Hayrikan is the leader of a moderate opposition party, the National Selfdetermination Union.
According to Armenia’s constitution, the election could be postponed by two weeks if a candidate is unable to campaign or run. In the event of a candidate’s death, a new election is called, to be held within 40 days.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1USA: Los Angeles police shoot homeless man dead
- 2Memorial march: “My hope for Russia has died with the death of Boris Nemtsov”
- 3EU call for unity as Spain and Portugal enter war of words with Greece
- 4Estonia votes in election amid concerns over Russia
- 5Skydiver has lucky escape after seizure at 9,000 feet
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 10Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:45 CET Volcano Villarrica erupts in southern Chile, villages evacuated
- 11:39 CET Russia ready to consider discount on gas price for Ukraine in…
- 11:36 CET Top Indian, Pakistani diplomats meet to mend ties
- 11:31 CET U.N.-Cambodia tribunal charges two more ex-Khmer Rouge cadres
- 11:29 CET Fame for North Korean defectors brings money, suspicion
- 11:09 CET North Korea has power to deter U.S. ‘nuclear threat’ – foreign…
- 10:55 CET Egypt court ruling halts parliamentary election – judicial sources
- 10:53 CET Iraq battles to rebuild despite war and oil slump