Armenian presidential candidate, Paruyr Hayrikyan, has been shot by unknown gunmen at his home in the capital Yerevan.
Armenian Shans TV reported that gunmen fired two shots, wounding Hayrikyan with a bullet to his shoulder. His condition is not said to be life-threatening but the attack could delay this month’s election.
Hayrikan, 63, is one of eight candidates running, however he is not regarded as a strong challenger to the incumbent Serzh Sarksyan, who is expected to be re-elected for a second five-year term.
A former dissident, Hayrikan is the leader of a moderate opposition party, the National Selfdetermination Union.
According to Armenia’s constitution, the election could be postponed by two weeks if a candidate is unable to campaign or run. In the event of a candidate’s death, a new election is called, to be held within 40 days.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 14Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Wires > News
- 12:20 CET France refuses asylum request by Wikileaks founder Assange
- 12:04 CET China angered by new U.S. military strategy report
- 11:54 CET Danish government plans to cut refugee benefits to slow migrant…
- 11:43 CET German foreign minister urges quick clarification of reports on…
- 11:32 CET Israel accuses Hamas of aiding Islamic State in Egypt
- 11:19 CET No breakthrough in talks between Iran and nuclear watchdog
- 10:31 CET Quake in rural China kills six, damages thousands of homes
- 09:45 CET Thailand’s first MERS case to leave hospital