Francis Ricciardone, the US ambassador to Turkey, has paid tribute to the security guard who died in Friday’s suicide bombing at the American embassy in Ankara.
“I paid my respects to the family of the Turkish hero who stood guard for us every day, was well trained, was committed to his job and died defending the Turks and Americans who worked at our embassy.”
A woman, reportedly a journalist, was critically injured in the explosion at one of the entrances to the embassy.
The assailant also died during the blast.
The Turkish government has named him as Ecevit Sanli, a member of outlawed far-left group the DHKP. He was implicated in another attack in 1997.
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said the attack was the latest in a series of terrorist acts threatening peace in Turkey:
“All these attacks are against the prosperity and peace in our country. As we have said since the beginning, we have to fight against terrorism together all over the world,” Erdogan said.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan
- 21:34 CET Latin American foreign ministers to discuss Venezuela unrest
- 21:26 CET Turkey’s former army chief freed from prison
- 21:03 CET Netanyahu says Israel would give up ‘some settlements’ for peace
- 20:45 CET Iran, world powers hold ‘substantive and useful’ nuclear talks
- 20:44 CET Yemen names new oil and interior ministers – state news agency
- 20:40 CET U.S. State Department says June deadline on Syria chemical weapons…