Francis Ricciardone, the US ambassador to Turkey, has paid tribute to the security guard who died in Friday’s suicide bombing at the American embassy in Ankara.
“I paid my respects to the family of the Turkish hero who stood guard for us every day, was well trained, was committed to his job and died defending the Turks and Americans who worked at our embassy.”
A woman, reportedly a journalist, was critically injured in the explosion at one of the entrances to the embassy.
The assailant also died during the blast.
The Turkish government has named him as Ecevit Sanli, a member of outlawed far-left group the DHKP. He was implicated in another attack in 1997.
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said the attack was the latest in a series of terrorist acts threatening peace in Turkey:
“All these attacks are against the prosperity and peace in our country. As we have said since the beginning, we have to fight against terrorism together all over the world,” Erdogan said.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 2Death of a politician raises tension in Ukraine
- 3Egypt: Mursi espionage trial adjourned and media ban imposed
- 4Crimean authorities move against Tatars and their leader
- 5Ukrainian president calls for resumption of “anti-terrorist” operations in east
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 08:07 CET Serendipity aids Egypt in struggle to recover stolen heritage
- 08:06 CET Import tariffs strain rich-poor gap in ‘madly expensive’ Luanda
- 07:57 CET China military says faces ‘complex’ task keeping secrets
- 07:37 CET Russia holds snap military drills in Caspian Sea – report
- 07:17 CET Thai court gives PM more time in abuse of power case
- 05:58 CET Iran asks U.N. to act on U.S. ban on new ambassador
- 05:57 CET Obama reassures Japan, other allies on China ahead of visit
- 05:54 CET Vietnam sentences American to death over heroin – newspapers