Francis Ricciardone, the US ambassador to Turkey, has paid tribute to the security guard who died in Friday’s suicide bombing at the American embassy in Ankara.
“I paid my respects to the family of the Turkish hero who stood guard for us every day, was well trained, was committed to his job and died defending the Turks and Americans who worked at our embassy.”
A woman, reportedly a journalist, was critically injured in the explosion at one of the entrances to the embassy.
The assailant also died during the blast.
The Turkish government has named him as Ecevit Sanli, a member of outlawed far-left group the DHKP. He was implicated in another attack in 1997.
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said the attack was the latest in a series of terrorist acts threatening peace in Turkey:
“All these attacks are against the prosperity and peace in our country. As we have said since the beginning, we have to fight against terrorism together all over the world,” Erdogan said.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 14Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 18Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 20Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 23:54 CET Poland’s ruling party grabs surprise win in regional elections
- 23:47 CET Obama approves fresh guidelines for U.S. military in Afghanistan
- 23:43 CET Suspected Islamist fighters kill two children, abduct 10
- 22:20 CET Irish PM’s party popularity hit by water levy protests – poll
- 22:04 CET Iran nuclear talks may be extended as U.S. sees ‘big gaps’
- 21:16 CET Demonstrators clash with French police over protester death
- 21:05 CET U.S. plans to arm Iraq’s Sunni tribesmen with AK-47s, RPGs, mortars
- 19:04 CET Danish man shot and wounded in Saudi capital