The death toll from the explosion at the headquarters of Mexico’s state-owned oil company has risen to 32.
More than 120 people were injured during Thursday’s blast at the offices of Pemex in Mexico City.
The blast caused significant damage to several floors of an administrative building next to the iconic 51 storey Pemex tower.
Several theories have surfaced as to the cause of the tragedy ranging from an electrical fire to an attack.
The company’s director Emilo Lozoya promised a thorough investigation.
“We are working with the best teams from Mexico and abroad to determine what were the root causes (of the explosion). We are not going to speculate or get ahead of ourselves. We’d like to act with the utmost responsibility when it comes to that, thank you very much,” he said.
Mexico’s new president Enrique Peña Nieto visited some of the 52 survivors who remain hospitalised.
Rescue workers continue to sift through the debris for survivors.
A debate over the future of Pemex has raged for some time. Opposition politicians fear plans are under way to part-privatised it.
The world’s number four oil producer is the biggest contributor to Mexico’s economy but has been plagued by falling production and a poor safety record.
- 1‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 2Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 3Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 4German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 5Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 12Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:48 CET Irish governing parties see poll boost as Sinn Fein falters
- 22:42 CET Greek PM Tsipras says he seeks no rift with Europe
- 21:52 CET Libya tells Arab summit arms embargo must be lifted to fight IS
- 20:32 CET EU’s Juncker postpones Kiev visit due to kidney stones
- 19:55 CET Gunmen kill 15 in Nigeria during tense election
- 19:03 CET U.S., allies target Islamic State in Tikrit, other Iraqi cities
- 18:43 CET Thousands march through Rome against Renzi’s labour reform
- 18:21 CET Kenya hits out at Britain’s tougher travel warning