A week after she performed at President Barack Obama’s inauguration, a teenage majorette has been shot dead in Chicago.
Police say 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton was shot in the back on Tuesday as she sheltered from the rain in a bus stop at a Southside park. Her death is likely to reinforce growing calls for gun control.
“As the president has said, we will never be able to eradicate every act of evil in this country, but if we can save even one child’s life we have an obligation to try when it comes to the scourge of gun violence,” said White House spokesperson, Jay Carney.
The news came on the day former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords made an emotional plea to Congress take action on guns. She was seriously wounded in a mass shooting in 2011.
“Violence is a big problem,” Giffords told Congress. “Too many children are dying, too many children. We must do something.”
There has been an outcry across the country following the Newtown massacre in December, which claimed the lives of 20 children and six adults. Democrats have asked Congress to pass the largest package of gun restrictions in decades.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
Latest world news
Brazil carnival opens, amid growing Zika fears
At least five dead as powerful quake hits southern Taiwan
Former soldier stoned to death in Haiti clashes
Syrians flee to Turkish border as government forces close in on Aleppo
Ten-day-old baby among dead after powerful quake hits southern Taiwan
Wires > News
- 08:26 CET Al Qaeda mourns death of top commander in Yemen
- 07:56 CET Efforts to revive Afghan peace talks continue in Pakistan
- 07:06 CET As Myanmar powerbrokers talk, could Suu Kyi emerge as president?
- 06:30 CET Quake fells Taiwan apartment building, at least five dead
- 05:25 CET China faces diplomatic ‘crisis’ over missing Hong Kong booksellers
- 03:51 CET Convicted al Qaeda supporter, U.S. face off in medical malpractice…
- 03:21 CET Al Qaeda group claims kidnapping of Australians in Burkina Faso
- 00:41 CET Pentagon releases photos tied to Afghan, Iraq detainee abuse