A week after she performed at President Barack Obama’s inauguration, a teenage majorette has been shot dead in Chicago.
Police say 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton was shot in the back on Tuesday as she sheltered from the rain in a bus stop at a Southside park. Her death is likely to reinforce growing calls for gun control.
“As the president has said, we will never be able to eradicate every act of evil in this country, but if we can save even one child’s life we have an obligation to try when it comes to the scourge of gun violence,” said White House spokesperson, Jay Carney.
The news came on the day former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords made an emotional plea to Congress take action on guns. She was seriously wounded in a mass shooting in 2011.
“Violence is a big problem,” Giffords told Congress. “Too many children are dying, too many children. We must do something.”
There has been an outcry across the country following the Newtown massacre in December, which claimed the lives of 20 children and six adults. Democrats have asked Congress to pass the largest package of gun restrictions in decades.
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 4Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 5Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > News
- 01:05 CET New Taliban leader moves fast to heal rifts in Afghan insurgency
- 23:57 CET Helicopter accident kills 16 police officers in Colombia
- 23:53 CET U.S. House to vote on Iran deal disapproval resolution
- 22:48 CET Germany sacks top prosecutor in row over treason inquiry
- 22:46 CET First Israeli jailed without trial in sweep over West Bank arson
- 22:37 CET Iraqis complain of poor government services as heat rises
- 21:56 CET Israel’s Netanyahu asks U.S. Jews to oppose Iran nuclear deal
- 21:33 CET Cecil the lion case charts new territory for U.S. wildlife law