A week after she performed at President Barack Obama’s inauguration, a teenage majorette has been shot dead in Chicago.
Police say 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton was shot in the back on Tuesday as she sheltered from the rain in a bus stop at a Southside park. Her death is likely to reinforce growing calls for gun control.
“As the president has said, we will never be able to eradicate every act of evil in this country, but if we can save even one child’s life we have an obligation to try when it comes to the scourge of gun violence,” said White House spokesperson, Jay Carney.
The news came on the day former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords made an emotional plea to Congress take action on guns. She was seriously wounded in a mass shooting in 2011.
“Violence is a big problem,” Giffords told Congress. “Too many children are dying, too many children. We must do something.”
There has been an outcry across the country following the Newtown massacre in December, which claimed the lives of 20 children and six adults. Democrats have asked Congress to pass the largest package of gun restrictions in decades.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 17:18 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 17:10 CET Bahraini man dies two months after being shot by police – family
- 17:05 CET Poles most worried about their independence in at least 23 years -…
- 16:35 CET Turkish president rules out role swap with Erdogan
- 16:24 CET Bomb blast kills 14 at mosque in Syria’s Homs – state TV
- 16:00 CET Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits…
- 15:59 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 15:19 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika set for re-election, foes cry fraud