A week after she performed at President Barack Obama’s inauguration, a teenage majorette has been shot dead in Chicago.
Police say 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton was shot in the back on Tuesday as she sheltered from the rain in a bus stop at a Southside park. Her death is likely to reinforce growing calls for gun control.
“As the president has said, we will never be able to eradicate every act of evil in this country, but if we can save even one child’s life we have an obligation to try when it comes to the scourge of gun violence,” said White House spokesperson, Jay Carney.
The news came on the day former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords made an emotional plea to Congress take action on guns. She was seriously wounded in a mass shooting in 2011.
“Violence is a big problem,” Giffords told Congress. “Too many children are dying, too many children. We must do something.”
There has been an outcry across the country following the Newtown massacre in December, which claimed the lives of 20 children and six adults. Democrats have asked Congress to pass the largest package of gun restrictions in decades.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 247 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 3Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 04:55 CET Kerry pushes for Gaza truce as death toll tops 700
- 04:36 CET Leaders of Taiwan, China offer condolences for 48 dead in plane…
- 02:57 CET Venezuela’s world-famous ‘vertical slum’ may be demolished
- 23:23 CET Suicide bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari…
- 23:21 CET India bids to reassert influence in Nepal with power pact
- 21:26 CET Chinese president ends regional tour in cradle of Cuban Revolution
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved
- 18:12 CET Lebanese soldier defects to al Qaeda in Syria – video