A week after she performed at President Barack Obama’s inauguration, a teenage majorette has been shot dead in Chicago.
Police say 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton was shot in the back on Tuesday as she sheltered from the rain in a bus stop at a Southside park. Her death is likely to reinforce growing calls for gun control.
“As the president has said, we will never be able to eradicate every act of evil in this country, but if we can save even one child’s life we have an obligation to try when it comes to the scourge of gun violence,” said White House spokesperson, Jay Carney.
The news came on the day former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords made an emotional plea to Congress take action on guns. She was seriously wounded in a mass shooting in 2011.
“Violence is a big problem,” Giffords told Congress. “Too many children are dying, too many children. We must do something.”
There has been an outcry across the country following the Newtown massacre in December, which claimed the lives of 20 children and six adults. Democrats have asked Congress to pass the largest package of gun restrictions in decades.
- 1Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 2The end of the road for Uber? Executives detained by French police
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4Greece to default on IMF loan on Tuesday as banks close and panic buying begins
- 5Croatian President Kolinda Grabar- Kitarovic from peace, recession to feminism
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 6Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 7Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 8NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 19Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 06:05 CET Japan raises volcano alert for Mt. Hakone after small eruption
- 05:50 CET Japan bullet train stops after reports man tried to set himself…
- 04:10 CET U.S. spy agency wiretapped two French finance ministers – Wikileaks
- 04:08 CET Four Israelis wounded in suspected Palestinian West Bank shooting
- 04:07 CET Car bomb in Yemeni capital hits mourners, dozens wounded
- 03:02 CET Amnesty slams Egypt over arrests of youths
- 00:54 CET Burundi votes in boycott-hit poll; blasts, gunfire heard
- 23:59 CET Insight – France bets on Arab Sunni states as Iran nuclear deal…