A week after she performed at President Barack Obama’s inauguration, a teenage majorette has been shot dead in Chicago.
Police say 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton was shot in the back on Tuesday as she sheltered from the rain in a bus stop at a Southside park. Her death is likely to reinforce growing calls for gun control.
“As the president has said, we will never be able to eradicate every act of evil in this country, but if we can save even one child’s life we have an obligation to try when it comes to the scourge of gun violence,” said White House spokesperson, Jay Carney.
The news came on the day former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords made an emotional plea to Congress take action on guns. She was seriously wounded in a mass shooting in 2011.
“Violence is a big problem,” Giffords told Congress. “Too many children are dying, too many children. We must do something.”
There has been an outcry across the country following the Newtown massacre in December, which claimed the lives of 20 children and six adults. Democrats have asked Congress to pass the largest package of gun restrictions in decades.
- 1‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 2Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 3Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:30 CET Singaporeans bid final farewell to founding father Lee
- 06:50 CET Insight – Modi’s popularity in rural India punctured by…
- 04:29 CET Brazil minister Levy privately criticized Rousseff – report
- 01:03 CET Guinea president announces new emergency measures in Ebola fight
- 23:48 CET Irish governing parties see poll boost as Sinn Fein falters
- 23:42 CET Greek PM Tsipras says he seeks no rift with Europe
- 22:52 CET Libya tells Arab summit arms embargo must be lifted to fight IS
- 21:32 CET EU’s Juncker postpones Kiev visit due to kidney stones