A week after she performed at President Barack Obama’s inauguration, a teenage majorette has been shot dead in Chicago.
Police say 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton was shot in the back on Tuesday as she sheltered from the rain in a bus stop at a Southside park. Her death is likely to reinforce growing calls for gun control.
“As the president has said, we will never be able to eradicate every act of evil in this country, but if we can save even one child’s life we have an obligation to try when it comes to the scourge of gun violence,” said White House spokesperson, Jay Carney.
The news came on the day former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords made an emotional plea to Congress take action on guns. She was seriously wounded in a mass shooting in 2011.
“Violence is a big problem,” Giffords told Congress. “Too many children are dying, too many children. We must do something.”
There has been an outcry across the country following the Newtown massacre in December, which claimed the lives of 20 children and six adults. Democrats have asked Congress to pass the largest package of gun restrictions in decades.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 17:28 CET Militants kill five, target telecoms in Indian Kashmir attacks
- 17:25 CET Houthis suffer first serious setback in south Yemen fighting -…
- 16:57 CET Burkina Faso exhumes remains of former president Sankara in murder…
- 16:54 CET Congo soldiers clash with Rwandan rebels in transit camp
- 16:19 CET Germany protests Russia’s ejection of conservative MP from Moscow
- 16:15 CET Gunman takes hostages after killing two in northeast Ukraine
- 15:26 CET Tunisian soldier shot dead after killing seven in army base…
- 14:33 CET Greece wants to make debt payments but needs aid urgently