Syria has lodged a formal complaint with the UN over an airstrike inside the country blamed on Israel.
There is confusion over what was actually hit, with Syrian state television reporting two people killed and five injured in the strike against a research centre in Jamraya near Syria’s border with Lebanon.
American officials say what was struck was a convoy carrying weapons to Lebanon for militant group Hezbollah.
The bombing has drawn criticism from Russia, with the Kremlin calling it “unacceptable” if it was carried out by the Israeli Defence Force.
“So we made a very careful conclusion that, if the information is confirmed, then this is of course a serious breach of the basic norms of international law,” said Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich.
Repeating Ankara’s earliest assessment that the Syria crisis would lead to wider problems for the whole of the Middle East, spokesman from Turkey’s Foreign Ministry Selcuk Unal said:
“We have been watching the developments in the media. This incident shows how complicated the situation in Syria has become and how it threatens international peace in the region.”
There has been no word from Israel confirming or denying whether IDF jets carried out the bombing or reports from Lebanon that Israeli planes were in Lebanese airspace during the time of the attack.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies
- 2Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 3Doctor in New York tests positive for Ebola infection
- 4Video footage of Canadian parliament gunman shows final movements
- 5[In pictures] Pre-revolutionary Russia as you may never have seen it before
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 15:19 CET Syrian army recaptures town in western Syria – state TV
- 15:15 CET Security tight in Canada as police probe Parliament gunman’s ties
- 15:13 CET Zambia celebrates 50th anniversary of independence, without Sata
- 15:08 CET Italy strikes against Renzi labour reforms, cuts
- 14:59 CET Explosion heard near army base in Egypt’s Sinai – witnesses
- 14:57 CET South Africa police fire rubber bullets at Diamondcorp strikers
- 14:46 CET Brazil poll shows Neves leading election, at odds with major…
- 14:39 CET Russia’s Putin says Cold War ‘victors’ want to reshape world