Syria has lodged a formal complaint with the UN over an airstrike inside the country blamed on Israel.
There is confusion over what was actually hit, with Syrian state television reporting two people killed and five injured in the strike against a research centre in Jamraya near Syria’s border with Lebanon.
American officials say what was struck was a convoy carrying weapons to Lebanon for militant group Hezbollah.
The bombing has drawn criticism from Russia, with the Kremlin calling it “unacceptable” if it was carried out by the Israeli Defence Force.
“So we made a very careful conclusion that, if the information is confirmed, then this is of course a serious breach of the basic norms of international law,” said Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich.
Repeating Ankara’s earliest assessment that the Syria crisis would lead to wider problems for the whole of the Middle East, spokesman from Turkey’s Foreign Ministry Selcuk Unal said:
“We have been watching the developments in the media. This incident shows how complicated the situation in Syria has become and how it threatens international peace in the region.”
There has been no word from Israel confirming or denying whether IDF jets carried out the bombing or reports from Lebanon that Israeli planes were in Lebanese airspace during the time of the attack.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Red alert in southern France as heavy rains sweep Languedoc region
- 5Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 12Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 15Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:47 CET Reeling from Ebola, WHO warns of MERS risk to Africa
- 19:18 CET Experts question two-day delay in admitting Texas Ebola patient
- 18:51 CET Insight – Saudi Arabia fears Yemeni tumult may boost its main foe…
- 18:43 CET U.N. to talk with Libyan militias as next step in peace process
- 18:17 CET Modi to wield broom in nationwide ‘Clean India’ campaign
- 18:14 CET Car bomb kills 11 in Shi’ite Baghdad neighbourhood- police, medics
- 18:09 CET Israel’s Netanyahu tells Obama that Iran can’t be allowed to reach…
- 17:38 CET Austria says Eurofighter has part problem, some deliveries halted