Syria has lodged a formal complaint with the UN over an airstrike inside the country blamed on Israel.
There is confusion over what was actually hit, with Syrian state television reporting two people killed and five injured in the strike against a research centre in Jamraya near Syria’s border with Lebanon.
American officials say what was struck was a convoy carrying weapons to Lebanon for militant group Hezbollah.
The bombing has drawn criticism from Russia, with the Kremlin calling it “unacceptable” if it was carried out by the Israeli Defence Force.
“So we made a very careful conclusion that, if the information is confirmed, then this is of course a serious breach of the basic norms of international law,” said Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich.
Repeating Ankara’s earliest assessment that the Syria crisis would lead to wider problems for the whole of the Middle East, spokesman from Turkey’s Foreign Ministry Selcuk Unal said:
“We have been watching the developments in the media. This incident shows how complicated the situation in Syria has become and how it threatens international peace in the region.”
There has been no word from Israel confirming or denying whether IDF jets carried out the bombing or reports from Lebanon that Israeli planes were in Lebanese airspace during the time of the attack.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 19:13 CET Tourist killed in Mombasa, second in July – police
- 19:07 CET At least 15 die in Israeli shelling of Gaza school as toll exceeds…
- 19:06 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- 18:30 CET Bomb hidden in fridge kills one, wounds eight in bus park in…
- 18:14 CET U.N. chief says arbitrary denial of aid a tactic of war in Syria
- 17:57 CET Insight – Purge of minorities re-draws Iraq map
- 16:43 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 16:18 CET Iraq parliament elects senior Kurdish politician president