31/01/13 19:24 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Syria has lodged a formal complaint with the UN over an airstrike inside the country blamed on Israel.
There is confusion over what was actually hit, with Syrian state television reporting two people killed and five injured in the strike against a research centre in Jamraya near Syria’s border with Lebanon.
American officials say what was struck was a convoy carrying weapons to Lebanon for militant group Hezbollah.
The bombing has drawn criticism from Russia, with the Kremlin calling it “unacceptable” if it was carried out by the Israeli Defence Force.
“So we made a very careful conclusion that, if the information is confirmed, then this is of course a serious breach of the basic norms of international law,” said Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich.
Repeating Ankara’s earliest assessment that the Syria crisis would lead to wider problems for the whole of the Middle East, spokesman from Turkey’s Foreign Ministry Selcuk Unal said:
“We have been watching the developments in the media. This incident shows how complicated the situation in Syria has become and how it threatens international peace in the region.”
There has been no word from Israel confirming or denying whether IDF jets carried out the bombing or reports from Lebanon that Israeli planes were in Lebanese airspace during the time of the attack.
Latest world news
Baghdad protesters leave Green Zone but vow to keep up pressure over corruption
National issues highlighted in Europe’s May Day rallies
From Jerusalem to Damascus to Moscow, Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter
Brussels airport departure hall reopens after terror attacks
Dozens killed in ISIL suicide blasts in southern Iraq
Wires > News
- 00:46 CET Puerto Rico declares moratorium on Government Development Bank’s…
- 00:37 CET Egyptian police raid press syndicate, arrest two journalists
- 23:05 CET Islamic State boosts attacks in response to territorial losses -…
- 22:43 CET French far-right veteran Le Pen predicts daughter’s failure in…
- 21:49 CET Bomb attack in southeast Turkey wounds 10 troops, Kurdish…
- 21:30 CET Yemen officials say peace talks suspended after Houthis seize base
- 21:28 CET Bergdahl defense can access classified information, court rules
- 21:11 CET Connecticut governor honored for welcoming Syrian refugees