Arriving in Brussels, the EU’s Foreign Affairs Chief, Catherine Ashton and other European foreign ministers had plenty to discuss at today’s Foreign Affairs Council Meeting.
First on the list was the conflict in Syria. British Foreign Minister William Hague was asked by journalists about reports of Israel bombing of a Syrian military research facility.
“There are great dangers from the Syrian conflict,” he told reporters, adding “either dangers of the chemical and biological weapons which we believe Syria to have, or that weapons in Syria could be moved elsewhere in the region. “
The EU is also considering whether to lift an arms embargo in order to help the opposition.
Also on the agenda for ministers is how the European Union should respond to events in Mali. It is preparing to launch a military training mission in the country and appoint a special representative.
European Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response, Kristalina Georgieva said that increasing humanitarian aid in Mali is essential: “I am determined to keep Sahel firmly at the centre of our attention.” She added: “It’s a very vulnerable region. What is going on in Mali affects also the neighbourhood. “
Ministers will discuss their response to the Arab Spring, talk about relations with the US, and be joined by the Somali president.
The EU is determined that its member countries should work closely together in their foreign and defence policy to ensure security and development for the regions southern neighbours.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 13‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Latest News Bulletin
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid