Spain’s ruling People’s Party has denied that Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and other leaders received secret cash payments.
The statements come after newspaper El Pais published excerpts from what it said were secret party accounts.
The People’s Party Secretary-General Maria Dolores de Cospedal came out in swift defence of the top man:
“This party categorically denies the content of those alleged documents that have been published. We categorically deny it in all its terms. I have spoken to the Prime Minister this morning as is logical, and I have to say that he is very tranquil,” Cospedal said.
The man at the eye of the storm may be “tranquil”, but opposition leader Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba says Rajoy’s party response is far from satisfactory:
“I want to answers from the Prime Minister directly because this affects him directly. I want him to come out and to answer just two simple questions. Did he receive those funds, yes or no? And if he did, how did he earn them, was it laundered money?,” said Rubalcaba.
On Cospedal’s statement, Rubalcaba asked, “What kind of credibility does this woman have? She was trying to stop the investigation for three years.”
A recent poll, conducted by El Pais, suggested that 96 per cent of Spaniards believe that the level political corruption is “very high”.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1USA: Los Angeles police shoot homeless man dead
- 2Memorial march: “My hope for Russia has died with the death of Boris Nemtsov”
- 3Estonia votes in election amid concerns over Russia
- 4EU call for unity as Spain and Portugal enter war of words with Greece
- 5Skydiver has lucky escape after seizure at 9,000 feet
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 3Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 4Stand-off at ‘anti-Islamisation’ march in north-east England
- 5Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 13‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 14Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 19Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 20Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 21:11 CET Netanyahu warns Obama on Iran deal, says he means no disrespect
- 20:55 CET Canadian pastor missing after aid trip to North Korea
- 20:49 CET Venezuela tells U.S. embassy to downsize amid diplomatic tension
- 19:11 CET Target of nation’s outrage, Ukraine central bank chief ploughs on
- 19:06 CET Libya’s Haftar appointed army chief for recognised government
- 19:00 CET EU seeks to bolster Middle East peace Quartet via Arab involvement
- 18:54 CET Exclusive: Guinea says Ebola patients sent home after botched…
- 18:45 CET North Korea angered by U.S.-South Korea military drills, fires…