Spain’s ruling People’s Party has denied that Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and other leaders received secret cash payments.
The statements come after newspaper El Pais published excerpts from what it said were secret party accounts.
The People’s Party Secretary-General Maria Dolores de Cospedal came out in swift defence of the top man:
“This party categorically denies the content of those alleged documents that have been published. We categorically deny it in all its terms. I have spoken to the Prime Minister this morning as is logical, and I have to say that he is very tranquil,” Cospedal said.
The man at the eye of the storm may be “tranquil”, but opposition leader Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba says Rajoy’s party response is far from satisfactory:
“I want to answers from the Prime Minister directly because this affects him directly. I want him to come out and to answer just two simple questions. Did he receive those funds, yes or no? And if he did, how did he earn them, was it laundered money?,” said Rubalcaba.
On Cospedal’s statement, Rubalcaba asked, “What kind of credibility does this woman have? She was trying to stop the investigation for three years.”
A recent poll, conducted by El Pais, suggested that 96 per cent of Spaniards believe that the level political corruption is “very high”.
Latest world news
A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Will Michel Platini be back in charge for Euro 2016?
Air strike on Kunduz hospital ‘not a war crime’ says US military report
Lisbon is a no-go, taxis on a go-slow
The United Nations appeals to save the truce and negotiations in Syria
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…