Spanish newspaper El País has published what it says are handwritten accounts showing past donations from construction firms to leading political figures in the governing party.
It is the latest chapter in a corruption scandal that has embroiled the conservative People’s Party (Partido Popular).
Its former treasurer Luis Bárcenas is already under investigation following revelations that he had amassed 22 million euros in a Swiss bank account.
Although he denies wrongdoing and stood down four years ago, further accusations will put more pressure on Mariano Rajoy. The prime minister has already ordered an internal investigation and an external audit.
He and former PM José María Aznar have reportedly threatened legal action against those making accusations against the PP.
Party leaders have denied knowledge of illegal schemes but Rajoy has said he will act if wrongful activities are proven.
The scandal has prompted anger in Spain where millions are dealing with daily hardship due to the economic crisis and austerity measures.
Earlier this month a large demonstration took place outside the People’s Party Madrid headquarters.
The Bárcenas case follows others in Spain involving bankers, politicians and local councillors.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 09:10 CET Iran says final nuclear deal with major powers ‘impossible’ by…
- 09:00 CET Bangladesh arrests woman leader of militant outfit
- 09:00 CET Voting gets underway in Tunisian presidential election
- 07:33 CET China arrests man for spying on aircraft carrier base – CCTV
- 03:16 CET German couple found murdered in Caribbean island of Tobago
- 00:46 CET Poland’s ruling party wins most seats in regional elections
- 23:47 CET Obama approves fresh guidelines for U.S. military in Afghanistan
- 23:43 CET Suspected Islamist fighters kill two children, abduct 10