Mario Monti is urging all EU member states to agree on the European budget at the upcoming summit at the start of February.
Discord could lead to the unravelling of the 120 billion growth pact forged six months ago.
It was meant to stem fears of excessive EU austerity. But many states face stringent domestic cuts, undermining the pact’s message.
“There will be no coherence between all the language we employ to talk about growth and the adoption of a budget that does not go along with this,” Monti told his audience in Brussels.
And, as often happens at a gathering, the people present found themselves discussing those who weren’t, like the British and their referendum plans.
“I think that (a referendum) is very healthy because it would finally, for the first time, ask the British people to reflect – not only on the huge benefit for them psychologically to make things difficult for us on the continent (laughs from the audience) – but on what the costs would be for them of saying goodbye to the single market,” Monti said.
Our correspondent in Brussels, Margherita Sforza, says Mario Monti will continue his visit around Europe, as he tries to rally support for a common stance on the upcoming budget. This week he is expected in Germany for a meeting with Chancellor Angela Merkel and afterwards in France with President François Hollande.
- 1Newly-released video alleges Turkey is sending weapons to Syria
- 2Nigeria: Buhari inaugurated in first democratic transfer of power
- 3Ukraine’s former resort city of Shyrokine is now a ghost town
- 4Greece designs new two-euro coin amid fears of Grexit
- 5Blatter re-elected for fifth term as FIFA president
- 1Tony Blair to step down as Middle East representative
- 2Iraq ‘exhumes 470 bodies’, thought to be victims of ISIL-led massacre
- 3Eastern Ukraine: separatists ‘will not push for independence,’ says spokesperson
- 4‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 5Jack Warner turns himself in after being accused of corruption in FIFA scandal
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 7Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 12EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 13How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 14Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 15Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 16We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 19Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > News
- 05:16 CET Mexico lawmakers demand president detail wealth after…
- 04:22 CET U.S. defence chief says China’s island-building erodes security
- 02:25 CET U.S. military orders review as anthrax mishap widens
- 01:20 CET Multi-vehicle crash in Egypt kills 16, including conscripts -…
- 00:48 CET Video shows Canada Parliament gunman praying before attack
- 00:14 CET Venezuela blocks Latam ex-presidents from seeing detained leaders
- 23:11 CET With no peace, Ukraine is beset by humanitarian risks – U.N.
- 22:51 CET U.S. considers airport preclearance centres in nine countries