Mario Monti is urging all EU member states to agree on the European budget at the upcoming summit at the start of February.
Discord could lead to the unravelling of the 120 billion growth pact forged six months ago.
It was meant to stem fears of excessive EU austerity. But many states face stringent domestic cuts, undermining the pact’s message.
“There will be no coherence between all the language we employ to talk about growth and the adoption of a budget that does not go along with this,” Monti told his audience in Brussels.
And, as often happens at a gathering, the people present found themselves discussing those who weren’t, like the British and their referendum plans.
“I think that (a referendum) is very healthy because it would finally, for the first time, ask the British people to reflect – not only on the huge benefit for them psychologically to make things difficult for us on the continent (laughs from the audience) – but on what the costs would be for them of saying goodbye to the single market,” Monti said.
Our correspondent in Brussels, Margherita Sforza, says Mario Monti will continue his visit around Europe, as he tries to rally support for a common stance on the upcoming budget. This week he is expected in Germany for a meeting with Chancellor Angela Merkel and afterwards in France with President François Hollande.
- 1Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 2Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 3Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 4Democratic nomination: Clinton crushes Sanders – thanks to “superdelegates”
- 5Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 4Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 5World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 19Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
Latest world news
Positive reactions to Syria ceasefire deal, but challenges lie ahead
Ding, ding, the gloves are off! Clinton and Sanders battle it out in Milwaukee
Tilda Swinton’s tip for surviving a George Clooney joke
Egypt awaits its revolution five years after Mubarak
Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
Wires > News
- 10:26 CET Russian PM says little sense in discussing Ukraine’s $3 billion…
- 10:09 CET Greek police fire tear gas to disperse angry farmers in Athens
- 09:47 CET Pakistan arrests 97 al-Qaeda and other militants; foils jailbreak…
- 08:11 CET Australian Cabinet minister resigns over unofficial China trip
- 07:10 CET Beijing offers support for Hong Kong after New Year violence
- 05:29 CET South Korea, U.S. to discuss missile defence; South cuts power to…
- 05:12 CET Venezuela top court grants Maduro economic emergency powers…
- 04:02 CET Britain says missing Hong Kong bookseller ‘involuntarily removed‘…