Mario Monti is urging all EU member states to agree on the European budget at the upcoming summit at the start of February.
Discord could lead to the unravelling of the 120 billion growth pact forged six months ago.
It was meant to stem fears of excessive EU austerity. But many states face stringent domestic cuts, undermining the pact’s message.
“There will be no coherence between all the language we employ to talk about growth and the adoption of a budget that does not go along with this,” Monti told his audience in Brussels.
And, as often happens at a gathering, the people present found themselves discussing those who weren’t, like the British and their referendum plans.
“I think that (a referendum) is very healthy because it would finally, for the first time, ask the British people to reflect – not only on the huge benefit for them psychologically to make things difficult for us on the continent (laughs from the audience) – but on what the costs would be for them of saying goodbye to the single market,” Monti said.
Our correspondent in Brussels, Margherita Sforza, says Mario Monti will continue his visit around Europe, as he tries to rally support for a common stance on the upcoming budget. This week he is expected in Germany for a meeting with Chancellor Angela Merkel and afterwards in France with President François Hollande.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 3Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 4Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 5Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 04:34 CET Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people
- 04:23 CET China says will not permit chaos or war on Korean peninsula
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan
- 21:34 CET Latin American foreign ministers to discuss Venezuela unrest
- 21:26 CET Turkey’s former army chief freed from prison