In Mali, troops have arrived at the outskirts of Kidal, one of the final rebel strongholds in the West African country.
France says its two weeks of air strikes have left the rebels, a coalition of militant groups, in disarray.
Kidal is under the control of the Islamist group MIA, linked to Ansar Dine, and the secularist MNLA.
In a sign of the turning tide, both groups have requested talks with the Malian government.
The interim President Dioncounda Traore said he is open to talks with the MNLA, but will not meet any Islamist groups.
“The only group that we could think of negotiating with with some results is certainly the MNLA. But of course on the condition that the MNLA drops any pretence to a territorial claim, that it accepts the integration of Mali once and for all,” Traore said.
“Regarding the Islamist Ansar Dine, I think that the only solution for them is to solemnly declare that they renounce Sharia law,” the interim President added.
The French-led military intervention in Mali has recaptured much of the country.
On the streets of Timbuktu, residents have been rejoicing after the historic city was liberated earlier this week.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 19:13 CET Tourist killed in Mombasa, second in July – police
- 19:07 CET At least 15 die in Israeli shelling of Gaza school as toll exceeds…
- 19:06 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- 18:30 CET Bomb hidden in fridge kills one, wounds eight in bus park in…
- 18:14 CET U.N. chief says arbitrary denial of aid a tactic of war in Syria
- 17:57 CET Insight – Purge of minorities re-draws Iraq map
- 16:43 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 16:18 CET Iraq parliament elects senior Kurdish politician president