In Mali, troops have arrived at the outskirts of Kidal, one of the final rebel strongholds in the West African country.
France says its two weeks of air strikes have left the rebels, a coalition of militant groups, in disarray.
Kidal is under the control of the Islamist group MIA, linked to Ansar Dine, and the secularist MNLA.
In a sign of the turning tide, both groups have requested talks with the Malian government.
The interim President Dioncounda Traore said he is open to talks with the MNLA, but will not meet any Islamist groups.
“The only group that we could think of negotiating with with some results is certainly the MNLA. But of course on the condition that the MNLA drops any pretence to a territorial claim, that it accepts the integration of Mali once and for all,” Traore said.
“Regarding the Islamist Ansar Dine, I think that the only solution for them is to solemnly declare that they renounce Sharia law,” the interim President added.
The French-led military intervention in Mali has recaptured much of the country.
On the streets of Timbuktu, residents have been rejoicing after the historic city was liberated earlier this week.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower?
- 4Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 5Deadly attack on Ukraine troops near Malaysia Airlines crash site
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 3Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
Wires > News
- 13:42 CET Ugandan constitutional court strikes down anti-homosexuality law
- 13:36 CET Court rejects request to arrest Kremlin critic Navalny
- 12:51 CET Pakistan widows, ‘second’ wives flee fighting but are denied aid
- 12:47 CET Islamic State imposes media controls in Syrian province
- 11:48 CET Cyprus expects to grant first casino resort licence within a year
- 10:38 CET Insight – Town vs town, faction vs faction as Libya descends into…
- 09:48 CET Greece evacuates embassy staff, foreign nationals from Libya
- 09:46 CET PR firm Edelman says its China chief is missing amid unspecified…