Jeden, dwa, trzy… the second most spoken language in England is Polish, according to new statistics.
A census of residents of England and Wales found that well over half a million speak Polish, reflecting the large number of immigrants who have come to Britain from eastern Europe over the past decade.
In one London supermarket, newspaper racks are stacked with Polish newspapers. An “alchohol” sign has another alongside it reading “alkohol”, though the store’s owner accepts his customers hardly need the translation.
“Some of them (Polish immigrants) actually speak better than me after five years and I’ve been here 65 years. Yes, most of them speak English. Some, obviously takes time, because English language is very difficult to learn,” said Wladyslaw Mleczko.
The survey found that nearly 140,000 residents spoke no English at all, while almost three quarters of a million spoke it badly.
Many Poles though go to great lengths to learn the language of their adopted country.
“In terms of the work ethic, you know, these guys are working ten-hour days and then they’re coming here in the evenings afterwards, so I take my hat of to them for that. I wouldn’t do the same,” said English teacher Tom Easten.
The new arrivals have brought their culture – and some controversy – to Britain, but can they make themselves understood?
“I like living here, but why does it always rain?!” chanted three students in semi-comprehensible unison.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 3Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 4‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 5Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 1[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 547 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
Wires > News
- 07:49 CET Rise of Islamic State tests Syrian army strategy
- 07:40 CET Indonesia’s constitutional court ready to take on election result…
- 06:36 CET Over half of China military airfields threatened by high-rises
- 06:28 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 06:00 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 05:59 CET Impossible to determine cause of South Korea ferry businessman’s…
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.
- 04:18 CET Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali