Jeden, dwa, trzy… the second most spoken language in England is Polish, according to new statistics.
A census of residents of England and Wales found that well over half a million speak Polish, reflecting the large number of immigrants who have come to Britain from eastern Europe over the past decade.
In one London supermarket, newspaper racks are stacked with Polish newspapers. An “alchohol” sign has another alongside it reading “alkohol”, though the store’s owner accepts his customers hardly need the translation.
“Some of them (Polish immigrants) actually speak better than me after five years and I’ve been here 65 years. Yes, most of them speak English. Some, obviously takes time, because English language is very difficult to learn,” said Wladyslaw Mleczko.
The survey found that nearly 140,000 residents spoke no English at all, while almost three quarters of a million spoke it badly.
Many Poles though go to great lengths to learn the language of their adopted country.
“In terms of the work ethic, you know, these guys are working ten-hour days and then they’re coming here in the evenings afterwards, so I take my hat of to them for that. I wouldn’t do the same,” said English teacher Tom Easten.
The new arrivals have brought their culture – and some controversy – to Britain, but can they make themselves understood?
“I like living here, but why does it always rain?!” chanted three students in semi-comprehensible unison.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1As it happened: Malaysia’s flight mystery remains as searches extended to Malacca Strait
- 2Ships and aircraft from ten countries continue search for missing Malaysia flight
- 3Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 4Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 5Turkey: Berkin Elvan, 15, hurt in Istanbul clashes, dies after months in coma
- 1Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 2As it happened: Malaysia’s flight mystery remains as searches extended to Malacca Strait
- 3Hijacking not ruled out as search for missing Malaysia Airlines jet enters third day
- 4Ships and aircraft from ten countries continue search for missing Malaysia flight
- 5Prayers for a miracle as the fate of missing Malaysia Airlines jet baffles the experts
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 3Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 4Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 5Hijacking not ruled out as search for missing Malaysia Airlines jet enters third day
Wires > News
- 14:02 CET Putin says dissatisfied with Russia’s economic growth rate
- 13:47 CET Islamist militants, local men said to kill 22 in Syrian village
- 13:44 CET Little-known group claims killing of Swedish journalist in Kabul
- 13:17 CET Swiss investigating Uzbek president’s daughter over money…
- 13:01 CET Sudan police fire tear gas at protesters attending student’s…
- 12:59 CET Thousands flock to Turkish boy’s funeral after night of protest
- 12:46 CET Exclusive – EU approves framework and wording for sanctions on…
- 12:41 CET South Africa rebukes Rwanda over attacks on exiled opponents