Amid another public sector strike in Greece there are concerns that austerity measures will deprive children with special needs.
Doctors, nurses and hospital staff protested outside the health ministry on Thursday, joining transport workers in a 24 hour stoppage against pay cuts.
A prominent state orphanage and school for children with special needs in the Athens suburbs is at risk of shutting down.
It cares for well over 100 children and young adults at an orphanage, a nursery school and a day care centre.
State funding has been reduced by 62 percent. The cuts have forced it to rely on donations. Now it is in urgent need of a sponsor.
The institution’s head, Filipini Karanikola, said:
“Parents avoid picking up their children at weekends because they do not have a way of taking care of them. When many children leave for the weekend to go home, parents ask us to give them any food that we can spare.”
Pammakaristos is the biggest institution of its kind in Greece. But for each child and young adult, it now has only 11 euros a day to pay for food and specialist staff.
“If you can imagine, we remained unpaid for four to five months. Things are really difficult and it influences our lives every day,” said speech therapist Kika Yiatzoglou.
Should the institution have to close, most students would have to stay at home and do without the specialist care they need.
The only alternative might be a psychiatric asylum.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 5Red alert in southern France as heavy rains sweep Languedoc region
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 5Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 6Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 11Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 15Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 18British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
Wires > News
- 23:47 CET First Ebola case diagnosed in the United States – CDC
- 23:23 CET Avalanche in southern Chile kills Canadian, Swedish climbers
- 23:21 CET Indonesia’s Widodo manages hopes as hostile parliament convenes
- 23:06 CET U.S. warns South Sudan: Strike a peace deal or face U.N. sanctions
- 22:27 CET Catalonia suspends formal campaign on Spain independence vote
- 22:26 CET Task force delays aircraft tracking plans promised after MH370…
- 22:03 CET Lightning, rain fail to deter resolute Hong Kong protesters
- 21:41 CET Judge urged to accept guilty plea in U.S. embassy bombing case