French troop reinforcements being sent to Kidal have been delayed by a sandstorm near the north Malian town.
But the French defence minister denied that forces were stuck at the airport, and military officials are quoted as saying that soldiers have since been patrolling the streets.
They reportedly met no resistance. Kidal was the last urban bastion held by al-Qaeda-linked rebels.
The capture comes days after French and Malian forces took control of Gao and Timbuktu.
“The president had wanted us firstly to halt the jihadists’ progress towards the south. That was done immediately,” the French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told France Inter radio. “Secondly, he explained that we needed to accompany the Malian – and, when they’re established, the African forces – in recovering Mali’s territorial autonomy and integrity. It’s underway, a lot faster than some imagined.”
France is planning to hand over its mission to a larger African force. The small town of Ansongo near Gao welcomed troops from Niger as they passed through.
The United Nations Security Council is to consider deploying UN troops – a development the French defence minister has described as “extremely positive”.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA likely to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 3‘Russia needs to return Crimea to Ukraine,’ says Kyiv official
- 4Japan outrage at ISIL claims it has executed hostage Haruna Yukawa
- 5US and EU officials condemn deadly rocket attacks in Mariupol
- 1Where do YOU rank on the world’s wealth scale?
- 2Kyiv claims victory in new battle for control of Donetsk airport
- 3Anti-Charlie protests turn violent in Niger, Pakistan and Algeria
- 4Pope Francis says Catholics don’t need to breed ‘like rabbits’
- 5Pupil power shames police in Nairobi as Kenyan school protest goes global
- 1The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 9Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 12Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 15HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 21:08 CET Nigeria repels suspected Boko Haram attack on Maiduguri city
- 21:00 CET Honduran president says military crackdown has cut murder rate
- 20:55 CET U.N. to hold new Libya talks, gunmen kidnap deputy foreign minister
- 20:53 CET Greece’s Syriza on verge of outright majority in vote
- 20:44 CET Talks to end Yemen’s political crisis falter
- 20:23 CET Netanyahu defends planned Congress speech as anti-Iran strategy
- 19:53 CET After Ebola, WHO to set up contingency fund, develop ‘surge…
- 18:35 CET Obama reveals nuclear breakthrough on landmark India trip