French troop reinforcements being sent to Kidal have been delayed by a sandstorm near the north Malian town.
But the French defence minister denied that forces were stuck at the airport, and military officials are quoted as saying that soldiers have since been patrolling the streets.
They reportedly met no resistance. Kidal was the last urban bastion held by al-Qaeda-linked rebels.
The capture comes days after French and Malian forces took control of Gao and Timbuktu.
“The president had wanted us firstly to halt the jihadists’ progress towards the south. That was done immediately,” the French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told France Inter radio. “Secondly, he explained that we needed to accompany the Malian – and, when they’re established, the African forces – in recovering Mali’s territorial autonomy and integrity. It’s underway, a lot faster than some imagined.”
France is planning to hand over its mission to a larger African force. The small town of Ansongo near Gao welcomed troops from Niger as they passed through.
The United Nations Security Council is to consider deploying UN troops – a development the French defence minister has described as “extremely positive”.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 3Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 4Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 5Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 04:34 CET Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people
- 04:23 CET China says will not permit chaos or war on Korean peninsula
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan
- 21:34 CET Latin American foreign ministers to discuss Venezuela unrest
- 21:26 CET Turkey’s former army chief freed from prison