French troop reinforcements being sent to Kidal have been delayed by a sandstorm near the north Malian town.
But the French defence minister denied that forces were stuck at the airport, and military officials are quoted as saying that soldiers have since been patrolling the streets.
They reportedly met no resistance. Kidal was the last urban bastion held by al-Qaeda-linked rebels.
The capture comes days after French and Malian forces took control of Gao and Timbuktu.
“The president had wanted us firstly to halt the jihadists’ progress towards the south. That was done immediately,” the French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told France Inter radio. “Secondly, he explained that we needed to accompany the Malian – and, when they’re established, the African forces – in recovering Mali’s territorial autonomy and integrity. It’s underway, a lot faster than some imagined.”
France is planning to hand over its mission to a larger African force. The small town of Ansongo near Gao welcomed troops from Niger as they passed through.
The United Nations Security Council is to consider deploying UN troops – a development the French defence minister has described as “extremely positive”.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 3Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
- 4French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 5Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
EgyptAir crash: ‘suggestion of explosion on board,’ says Egyptian forensic official
Iran appoints hardliner Ahmad Jannati to lead powerful assembly
Obama ‘significantly concerned’ about civil liberties in Vietnam
Greece begins evacuation of Idomeni refugee camp
Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
Wires > News
- 13:44 CET Britain investigating reports its cluster bombs used in Yemen
- 13:35 CET Italy’s 5-Star sees Rome vote paving way to government
- 13:34 CET Rome prosecutors suspect mafia of rigging exam for prison guard…
- 13:09 CET French police break up refinery blockade in anti-reform showdown
- 13:08 CET Israel resumes cement shipments for private Gaza reconstruction…
- 13:00 CET Greece starts moving migrants camped at border to state facilities
- 12:59 CET Cyprus president cuts short Turkey trip after protocol row
- 12:55 CET Surge in eastern fighting kills seven Ukrainian soldiers – official