French troop reinforcements being sent to Kidal have been delayed by a sandstorm near the north Malian town.
But the French defence minister denied that forces were stuck at the airport, and military officials are quoted as saying that soldiers have since been patrolling the streets.
They reportedly met no resistance. Kidal was the last urban bastion held by al-Qaeda-linked rebels.
The capture comes days after French and Malian forces took control of Gao and Timbuktu.
“The president had wanted us firstly to halt the jihadists’ progress towards the south. That was done immediately,” the French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told France Inter radio. “Secondly, he explained that we needed to accompany the Malian – and, when they’re established, the African forces – in recovering Mali’s territorial autonomy and integrity. It’s underway, a lot faster than some imagined.”
France is planning to hand over its mission to a larger African force. The small town of Ansongo near Gao welcomed troops from Niger as they passed through.
The United Nations Security Council is to consider deploying UN troops – a development the French defence minister has described as “extremely positive”.
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4All hostages are freed after a botched robbery in northern France
- 5France and US urge Russia to change tactics in fight against ISIL
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 4Who were the people behind the Paris bomb attacks?
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 10Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 13New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 19Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Tunisia: Deadly bus blast kills at least 12
All hostages are freed after a botched robbery in northern France
France and US urge Russia to change tactics in fight against ISIL
Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
Obama and Hollande call for greater cooperation against ISIL
Wires > News
- 04:30 CET Hurricane Sandra forms off Mexico’s Pacific coast, seen…
- 04:00 CET Chicago charges officer in black teen’s death, releases video of…
- 03:24 CET France, Belgium widen probe into Paris attacks, Hollande meets…
- 02:58 CET Obama, Hollande urge Russia to focus Syria attacks on Islamic State
- 02:04 CET Report says combination of errors led to U.S. bombing of …
- 01:49 CET No explosives found in U.S.-bound parcels at Cairo airport – DHL
- 00:33 CET Argentine president-elect picks U.N. insider as his top diplomat
- 00:24 CET Apparent suicide attack on Tunisian presidential guard bus kills 12