French troop reinforcements being sent to Kidal have been delayed by a sandstorm near the north Malian town.
But the French defence minister denied that forces were stuck at the airport, and military officials are quoted as saying that soldiers have since been patrolling the streets.
They reportedly met no resistance. Kidal was the last urban bastion held by al-Qaeda-linked rebels.
The capture comes days after French and Malian forces took control of Gao and Timbuktu.
“The president had wanted us firstly to halt the jihadists’ progress towards the south. That was done immediately,” the French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told France Inter radio. “Secondly, he explained that we needed to accompany the Malian – and, when they’re established, the African forces – in recovering Mali’s territorial autonomy and integrity. It’s underway, a lot faster than some imagined.”
France is planning to hand over its mission to a larger African force. The small town of Ansongo near Gao welcomed troops from Niger as they passed through.
The United Nations Security Council is to consider deploying UN troops – a development the French defence minister has described as “extremely positive”.
- 1Netanyahu vows ‘knife terror’ won’t beat Israel as stabbings multiply
- 2ISIL training children to kill
- 3Flight MH17: was shot down by a BUK missile fired from Eastern Ukraine – Dutch report
- 4Germany: PEGIDA slams Merkel over refugee influx
- 5Show your support for innovative European technology businesses
- 1Putin adds diplomatic strand to bolster Syrian air strikes
- 2Russian cruise missiles strikes prompt global aviation officials to issue safety alerts
- 3Russia tries to reassure Saudi Arabia over Syria air strikes
- 4Iraqi military claims to have killed several senior ISIL members including leader al – Baghdadi
- 5Belarus election: Lukashenko wins landslide of more than 80 percent – exit polls
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 8Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 11Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 12Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 13Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 14Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 15Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
- 18Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
Latest world news
Clashes in West Bank on “Day of Rage”
MH17: incomplete facts, brutal tragedy
Flight MH17: was shot down by a BUK missile fired from Eastern Ukraine – Dutch report
At least five dead, 20 wounded in “Day of Rage” in Israel
YPG militia alliance set to attack ISIL stronghold Raqqa “within weeks”
Wires > News
- 18:31 CET Expected Polish election winner urges EU climate deal renegotiation
- 18:04 CET Britain and China to hail ‘golden’ ties during Xi visit
- 17:59 CET Syrian rebels fortify frontline with anti-tank missiles
- 16:59 CET Myanmar to hold landmark vote as planned on Nov 8 – state TV
- 16:49 CET Irish government, eye on re-election, reverses cuts in budget
- 16:41 CET Tanzania rolls out birth registrations by mobile phone
- 16:30 CET Tunisia struggles to reform in face of protests
- 16:10 CET Taliban pull back from Kunduz as fighting flares on southern…