Facebook says it doubled its mobile advertising revenue in the fourth quarter of last year from the previous three months.
That is a sign the top social network is addressing the problem of more of its users migrating to smartphones and tablets.
Investors want to see evidence that chief executive Mark Zuckerberg is delivering on promises to develop a full-fledged mobile advertising business.
But the growth was not as good as some on Wall Street had wanted to see and Facebook’s share fell.
Its net income in the fourth quarter was 64 million dollars, compared to 302 million dollars a year earlier.
Facebook has rolled out a wide variety of new services in recent months as the company seeks to stay ahead in the fast-moving Web market and to convince Wall Street that it can turn its audience of more than one billion users into a sustainable business.
Zuckerberg said the company plans to spend heavily to recruit talent in 2013 as the company pushes forward with new product development, particularly “mobile-first” services.
“We aren’t operating to maximise our profit this year but we’re doing what we think will build the best service and business over the long term,” Zuckerberg said during a conference call with analysts.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 18French language revolution in France
- 192015 | archives : euronews
- 20Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
Renault 2015 profit up despite big hit from Russia car sales slump
Rolls-Royce stock flying high even as it halves share dividend
Top European Uber executives on trial in France for running an illegal taxi operation
Budapest gets bitcoin taxis
Total bucks trend with better-than-expected profit numbers
Wires > Business
- 13:16 CET Germany wants to introduce random emissions tests on cars
- 12:46 CET BAE Systems lines up oil executive Woodburn as next CEO – source
- 12:23 CET Iran offers mining riches post-sanctions, but investors cautious
- 11:42 CET China’s hackles raised by EU steel dumping investigation
- 10:21 CET Insight – Stress and the City: Britain’s bank workers buckle under…
- 10:15 CET Modi urged to make reality match ‘Make in India’ hype
- 06:48 CET Global slowdown fears overshadow Singapore aviation show
- 05:52 CET China to speed up large construction projects in 2016 – regulator