31/01/13 19:54 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Foreign Ministers in Brussels have continued talks about the direction of EU policy.
The EU’s foreign affairs chief, Catherine Ashton, critised human rights’ violations in Mali. She confirmed that the EU’s military training mission in the country would begin in February.
There were disagreements over proposals by France and Britain to ease the European arms embarbo against Syria.
Responding to concerns, Ashton confirmed that the EU would not be sending any weapons.
“Nobody was talking about shipping weapons today. What will happen at the next meeting as I said is first of all it will be absolute clarity about what is and is not allowed under the embargo.”
She went on to say: “There will be a discussion about what is being said to us by people in Syria and especially the opposition groups. And thirdly where member states wish to move if they wish to move at all either to put the embargo back as it is or to make additions to it or whatever.”
At the next meeting in February, when the embargo will expire, foreign ministers will try to establish how they can esure weapons don’t end up in the hands of the Syrian goverment or jihadists.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Meet Bernie Sanders, the democratic socialist who wants to be US president