The European Commission has acknowledged the difficulty of combating drug trafficking in the EU.
It says the complexity and constant innovation by criminals added to the diversity of illegal substances circulating in the European market makes the job increasingly hard.
EU Home Affairs Commissioner, Cecilia Malmström pointed to the growing role of online-markets: “The internet provides a rapid and secure means of communication for consumers and criminals. It is also developing as a virtual market place. That means that new trends are global and diffuse faster than before.”
The Commission asked all Member States to ban the new synthetic drug 4-methylamphetamine (4-MA), to “avoid spreading unrestricted” use. The
substance has effects physically similar to amphetamine.
The drug is already illegal in ten European Union countries and has been associated with the deaths of 21 people in the last two years.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news