The European Commission has acknowledged the difficulty of combating drug trafficking in the EU.
It says the complexity and constant innovation by criminals added to the diversity of illegal substances circulating in the European market makes the job increasingly hard.
EU Home Affairs Commissioner, Cecilia Malmström pointed to the growing role of online-markets: “The internet provides a rapid and secure means of communication for consumers and criminals. It is also developing as a virtual market place. That means that new trends are global and diffuse faster than before.”
The Commission asked all Member States to ban the new synthetic drug 4-methylamphetamine (4-MA), to “avoid spreading unrestricted” use. The
substance has effects physically similar to amphetamine.
The drug is already illegal in ten European Union countries and has been associated with the deaths of 21 people in the last two years.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Hollande and Obama step up pressure on climate change ahead of COP21