The European Commission has acknowledged the difficulty of combating drug trafficking in the EU.
It says the complexity and constant innovation by criminals added to the diversity of illegal substances circulating in the European market makes the job increasingly hard.
EU Home Affairs Commissioner, Cecilia Malmström pointed to the growing role of online-markets: “The internet provides a rapid and secure means of communication for consumers and criminals. It is also developing as a virtual market place. That means that new trends are global and diffuse faster than before.”
The Commission asked all Member States to ban the new synthetic drug 4-methylamphetamine (4-MA), to “avoid spreading unrestricted” use. The
substance has effects physically similar to amphetamine.
The drug is already illegal in ten European Union countries and has been associated with the deaths of 21 people in the last two years.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid