Rival Egyptian politicians have promised to end the current confrontation on the country’s streets that has led to the deaths of almost 60 people.
An influential Muslim scholar managed to get the feuding groups around a table in Cairo, a feat President Mohamed Mursi has so far failed to achieve.
Leaders of Mursi’s Muslim Brotherhood called it a major advance.
Mohamed Saad el-Katani, who heads the Freedom and Justice party said: “This document clearly states the rejection of any type of violence and all those who attended the meeting from various backgrounds, ideologies and parties agreed to it all.”
Leader of the opposition National Salvation Front, Mohammed ElBaradei added:” We came out of this meeting with some optimism even though we have a lot of challenges ahead, and each one of us believes that the fate of Egypt is on the verge of doom, and that each one has to deploy all his power to build trust among the different groups in Egypt.”
Egypt has become virtually ungovernable two years after the overthrow of Hosni Mubarak.
Secular and non-Islamist groups feel his successor, Mursi, is trying to impose an Islamist agenda, leaving many without a voice and without rights.
But just because the politicians have agreed to renounce violence does not necessarily mean that the bloodshed on the streets will stop.
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 3Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:19 CET One dead, two hurt as vehicle tries to ram U.S. spy agency gates
- 23:52 CET Canada-based Iranian filmmaker ‘in good shape’ in Evin prison
- 23:47 CET Exclusive – Pentagon chief sends military wish lists to Congress…
- 22:22 CET Crash pilot had been treated for suicidal tendencies
- 22:17 CET Red Cross driver killed in north Mali attack
- 22:04 CET Rogue Catholic bishops plan to grow schismatic challenge to Rome
- 21:47 CET Mentally ill British man pleads guilty to U.S. terrorism charges
- 20:12 CET Sollecito may seek compensation after Kercher murder acquittals