An area of almost 1.5 million square kilometres continues to be blanketed by smog in northern China.
The hardest hit zones are the cities of Beijing and Tianjin, and Hebei and Shandong provinces.
For two weeks, Beijing’s air was labelled worse than “very unhealthy” and “hazardous”.
According to the Chinese Academy of Sciences, 800 million people – over half the country’s population – are affected by the polluted air.
In Beijing, authorities have closed over 100 factories and taken 30 percent of government vehicles off the roads, but these measures have had little effect.
The problem stems from China’s use of coal – it burns almost as much as the rest of the world combined. With more economic growth, China’s use of coal is set to increase.
Chinese news agencies report that an online petition has been started by Beijing residents sick of the smog. It calls for a ‘Clean Air Act’ and has been signed by thousands of people.
- 1Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
- 2Merkel faces call to resign amid migrant crisis criticism
- 3Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
- 4All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 5Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 11New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 12world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Over 100 arrests made as Paris scuffles precede COP21 climate forum
‘Statelessness, not state’ killed Tahir Elci, claims pro-Kurdish HDP leader
Pope Francis brings message of reconciliation to Central African Republic
Turkey returns body of Russian pilot whose warplane it shot down
Put yourself in their shoes: Paris presents new twist on climate march
Wires > News
- 17:45 CET From penguins to Pope’s shoes, climate rallies pressure U.N. summit
- 17:12 CET Declaring a new start, EU and Turkey set to sign migration deal
- 17:11 CET French minister condemns social exclusion of young Muslims
- 15:55 CET Turkey recovers body of pilot from downed Russian jet
- 15:53 CET Minister signals German trust could handle nuclear waste storage
- 15:24 CET Thousands gather for funeral of top Kurdish lawyer
- 15:13 CET Syria’s Assad says his enemies increasing support for insurgents
- 13:46 CET Slovakia to file lawsuit over EU migrant quotas before December 18…