An area of almost 1.5 million square kilometres continues to be blanketed by smog in northern China.
The hardest hit zones are the cities of Beijing and Tianjin, and Hebei and Shandong provinces.
For two weeks, Beijing’s air was labelled worse than “very unhealthy” and “hazardous”.
According to the Chinese Academy of Sciences, 800 million people – over half the country’s population – are affected by the polluted air.
In Beijing, authorities have closed over 100 factories and taken 30 percent of government vehicles off the roads, but these measures have had little effect.
The problem stems from China’s use of coal – it burns almost as much as the rest of the world combined. With more economic growth, China’s use of coal is set to increase.
Chinese news agencies report that an online petition has been started by Beijing residents sick of the smog. It calls for a ‘Clean Air Act’ and has been signed by thousands of people.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:41 CET U.S. cannot confirm al Qaeda claim in blogger’s killing in…
- 19:37 CET Italy parliament passes Renzi’s electoral reform
- 19:33 CET Afghan talks agree on reopening Taliban political office
- 19:31 CET Senegal to send 2,100 troops to join Saudi-led alliance
- 19:21 CET Baltic military shadow-boxing said to reach Cold War levels
- 19:19 CET Police raid home of gunman in Mohammad cartoon attack in Texas
- 19:11 CET Europe toughens up pilot training rules to prevent accidents
- 19:07 CET Iraqi forces plead for help as Islamic State closes in on refinery