Italian authorities have found the body of an American fighter pilot who crashed his F16 jet off the country’s Adriatic coast.
The pilot had left a US military base north of Venice on a training mission on Monday night.
He was flying with three other aircraft when he reported a problem. A helmet and parachute were recovered off the coast of Pesaro two days later.
“It is with great sadness that we announce that the body of Captain Lucas Gruenther was found in the Adriatic Sea this afternoon,” said a statement from his family, which was released by the US Air Force.
- 1Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
- 2Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
- 3Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 4Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
- 5Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Wires > News
- 08:23 CET Bangladesh Islamist party leader to hang for war crimes
- 08:20 CET City where Soviet workers rose up stays calm in Russian crisis
- 08:00 CET Syria’s Aleppo relatively calm as truce takes effect – residents
- 05:14 CET Panama confirms four microcephaly cases tied to Zika
- 05:00 CET Mexico justice reform needs 11 years to fully take hold – study
- 04:30 CET Australian Islamic State recruiter killed in U.S. strike in Iraq
- 03:15 CET Stubborn Shanghai residents hold a line drawn in rubble
- 01:26 CET Cuba scrambles to keep pace with U.S.-fueled tourism boom