Former England captain David Beckham joined big-spending Paris Saint Germain on Thursday on a five month contract.
The player had recently been training with Premier League club Arsenal in a bid to retain his fitness since he left the LA Galaxy in December after five and a half years with the American club, who he helped to two MLS Cup titles.
Beckham was the target of several top European teams in recent weeks but decided to extend his illustrious career in the French capital.
“I am very lucky. I am 37 years old and I have had a lot of offers, more offers than in my whole career at my age. So I am very honoured by that.”
The former Manchester United, Real Madrid star admitted he chose PSG because of their ambition for success.
That ambition has led to the club spending 235.5 million euros on new signings in the last 18 months including Sweden international striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Lucas Moura and Ezequiel Lavezzi.
“I chose Paris because I can see what the club is trying to do. I’ve seen the players that the club is bringing in. You know it’s an exciting city, always has been always will be but now there is a club that is going to have a lot of success over the next 10, 15, 20 years.”
As well as the glamour and the popular brand Beckham, PSG will hope the veteran midfielder can also bring with him his experience and trophy winning ways, as he did with Manchester United, Real Madrid and the Galaxy.
Beckham will wear the number 32 shirt as at AC Milan, where he worked with current PSG coach Carlo Ancelotti and sporting director Leonardo, during his two loan spells in 2009 and 2010.
David Beckham’s salary at Paris St Germain will be donated to a children’s charity in Paris.
“We decided on something that’s quite unique. I won’t receive any salary during my time at Paris St Germain, my salary will go to a children’s charity in Paris,” Beckham, explained.
“I’m very passionate about children and charity and so are the club. I don’t think something like this has been done before.”
Beckham did not elaborate on the details of the donation.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 17Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 18Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
- 19Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 20Raids across Turkey target media outlets linked to Erdogan foe Fethullah Gulen | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 11:15 CET Simeone wants more of the same from ‘fabulous’ Griezmann
- 09:13 CET Malinga to return from injury during New Zealand ODIs
- 09:10 CET Boxing Day test of India’s resolve in Melbourne
- 06:06 CET No retirement in sight for evergreen Socceroo Cahill
- 04:32 CET Crash rules Gerrans out of Tour Down Under title defence
- 03:30 CET South Korea light on strikers for Asian Cup
- 03:25 CET European roundup – City and Barca turn heat up on leaders
- 23:27 CET Rangers manager McCoist leaves club