Former England captain David Beckham joined big-spending Paris Saint Germain on Thursday on a five month contract.
The player had recently been training with Premier League club Arsenal in a bid to retain his fitness since he left the LA Galaxy in December after five and a half years with the American club, who he helped to two MLS Cup titles.
Beckham was the target of several top European teams in recent weeks but decided to extend his illustrious career in the French capital.
“I am very lucky. I am 37 years old and I have had a lot of offers, more offers than in my whole career at my age. So I am very honoured by that.”
The former Manchester United, Real Madrid star admitted he chose PSG because of their ambition for success.
That ambition has led to the club spending 235.5 million euros on new signings in the last 18 months including Sweden international striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Lucas Moura and Ezequiel Lavezzi.
“I chose Paris because I can see what the club is trying to do. I’ve seen the players that the club is bringing in. You know it’s an exciting city, always has been always will be but now there is a club that is going to have a lot of success over the next 10, 15, 20 years.”
As well as the glamour and the popular brand Beckham, PSG will hope the veteran midfielder can also bring with him his experience and trophy winning ways, as he did with Manchester United, Real Madrid and the Galaxy.
Beckham will wear the number 32 shirt as at AC Milan, where he worked with current PSG coach Carlo Ancelotti and sporting director Leonardo, during his two loan spells in 2009 and 2010.
David Beckham’s salary at Paris St Germain will be donated to a children’s charity in Paris.
“We decided on something that’s quite unique. I won’t receive any salary during my time at Paris St Germain, my salary will go to a children’s charity in Paris,” Beckham, explained.
“I’m very passionate about children and charity and so are the club. I don’t think something like this has been done before.”
Beckham did not elaborate on the details of the donation.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 10Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 14Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 17Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 18How much sugar should you eat? | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > Sport
- 08:22 CET LG delivers timely boost for South Korean skeleton
- 06:39 CET China’s drinks king denies plans to buy Italy’s AC Milan
- 05:48 CET Corinthians’ win marred by racism row
- 04:49 CET Piutau confirms overseas contract, World Cup hopes in doubt
- 04:11 CET Arsenal and Liverpool focus on points not Cup glory
- 02:51 CET Assistant Gibson to take over from Cheika as Waratahs coach
- 02:18 CET Ice-cool Ko aims to have fun at Mission Hills
- 02:10 CET Australia coach Lehmann defends Haddin, aggression