Former England captain David Beckham joined big-spending Paris Saint Germain on Thursday on a five month contract.
The player had recently been training with Premier League club Arsenal in a bid to retain his fitness since he left the LA Galaxy in December after five and a half years with the American club, who he helped to two MLS Cup titles.
Beckham was the target of several top European teams in recent weeks but decided to extend his illustrious career in the French capital.
“I am very lucky. I am 37 years old and I have had a lot of offers, more offers than in my whole career at my age. So I am very honoured by that.”
The former Manchester United, Real Madrid star admitted he chose PSG because of their ambition for success.
That ambition has led to the club spending 235.5 million euros on new signings in the last 18 months including Sweden international striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Lucas Moura and Ezequiel Lavezzi.
“I chose Paris because I can see what the club is trying to do. I’ve seen the players that the club is bringing in. You know it’s an exciting city, always has been always will be but now there is a club that is going to have a lot of success over the next 10, 15, 20 years.”
As well as the glamour and the popular brand Beckham, PSG will hope the veteran midfielder can also bring with him his experience and trophy winning ways, as he did with Manchester United, Real Madrid and the Galaxy.
Beckham will wear the number 32 shirt as at AC Milan, where he worked with current PSG coach Carlo Ancelotti and sporting director Leonardo, during his two loan spells in 2009 and 2010.
David Beckham’s salary at Paris St Germain will be donated to a children’s charity in Paris.
“We decided on something that’s quite unique. I won’t receive any salary during my time at Paris St Germain, my salary will go to a children’s charity in Paris,” Beckham, explained.
“I’m very passionate about children and charity and so are the club. I don’t think something like this has been done before.”
Beckham did not elaborate on the details of the donation.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Serbia and Albania await Uefa punishment over violence-marred Euro2016 qualifier
- 2Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 3FIFA begins 2018 World Cup stadium inspection
- 4AS Roma suffer humiliating defeat to Bayern in Champions League
- 5Heavyweights in action on final day of Judo Grand Prix Tashkent
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > Sport
- 22:45 CET Murray ousts fighting Ferrer to boost London bid
- 22:16 CET Valencia celebrate imminent Lim takeover with victory
- 22:11 CET Wenger hails ‘super’ Sanchez after Chilean sinks Sunderland
- 21:14 CET Balotelli given Rodgers backing after another goalless afternoon
- 20:44 CET Coric loses out while Federer reaches another Basel final
- 20:36 CET CSKA Sofia coach knocked out by snowball in derby marred by crowd…
- 18:58 CET Birmingham suffer worst ever home loss to record-breaking…
- 17:33 CET Suarez included in Barca lineup for La Liga ‘Clasico’