Former England captain David Beckham joined big-spending Paris Saint Germain on Thursday on a five month contract.
The player had recently been training with Premier League club Arsenal in a bid to retain his fitness since he left the LA Galaxy in December after five and a half years with the American club, who he helped to two MLS Cup titles.
Beckham was the target of several top European teams in recent weeks but decided to extend his illustrious career in the French capital.
“I am very lucky. I am 37 years old and I have had a lot of offers, more offers than in my whole career at my age. So I am very honoured by that.”
The former Manchester United, Real Madrid star admitted he chose PSG because of their ambition for success.
That ambition has led to the club spending 235.5 million euros on new signings in the last 18 months including Sweden international striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Lucas Moura and Ezequiel Lavezzi.
“I chose Paris because I can see what the club is trying to do. I’ve seen the players that the club is bringing in. You know it’s an exciting city, always has been always will be but now there is a club that is going to have a lot of success over the next 10, 15, 20 years.”
As well as the glamour and the popular brand Beckham, PSG will hope the veteran midfielder can also bring with him his experience and trophy winning ways, as he did with Manchester United, Real Madrid and the Galaxy.
Beckham will wear the number 32 shirt as at AC Milan, where he worked with current PSG coach Carlo Ancelotti and sporting director Leonardo, during his two loan spells in 2009 and 2010.
David Beckham’s salary at Paris St Germain will be donated to a children’s charity in Paris.
“We decided on something that’s quite unique. I won’t receive any salary during my time at Paris St Germain, my salary will go to a children’s charity in Paris,” Beckham, explained.
“I’m very passionate about children and charity and so are the club. I don’t think something like this has been done before.”
Beckham did not elaborate on the details of the donation.
- 1Greek freejumper delights crowds in Santorini in the Redbull Art of Motion 2015 finals
- 2England dumped out of their own World Cup
- 3Liverpool manager sacked eight games in to Premier League
- 4Latvala claims his third win of the season
- 5Rugby World Cup 2015: England crash out after 33-13 loss to Australia
- 1England dumped out of their own World Cup
- 2Rugby World Cup 2015: England crash out after 33-13 loss to Australia
- 3Djokovic takes the glory but both he and Nadal take the money in Thailand exhibition
- 4Thick haze in Singapore disrupts World Cup finals
- 5Rugby World Cup 2015: South Africa down Scotland to move top
- 1Djokovic takes the glory but both he and Nadal take the money in Thailand exhibition
- 2Champions League day two match preview
- 3England dumped out of their own World Cup
- 4Sagan makes history and gives Slovakia its first cycling World Champion
- 5Roma and Arsenal crash, Barcelona come back in latest Champions League clashes
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 13Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 14Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 15Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 20EU split as UN approves raising of Palestinian flag
Liverpool manager sacked eight games in to Premier League
Frankie Dettori wins Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe on Golden Horn
Greek freejumper delights crowds in Santorini in the Redbull Art of Motion 2015 finals
Rugby World Cup 2015: England crash out after 33-13 loss to Australia
England dumped out of their own World Cup
Wires > Sport
- 15:21 CET Swiss court rejects FIFA official’s bid to be freed due to ill…
- 14:22 CET U.S. make wholesales changes for Springboks clash
- 14:20 CET ‘Tinkerman’ not afraid to tinker with Leicester team
- 14:02 CET IAAF will do everything to protect clean athletes – Coe
- 13:54 CET Japan coach Jones ready to listen to an England approach
- 13:52 CET Sherwood confident he can turn around Villa’s fortunes
- 13:46 CET England slump to eighth in rankings after World Cup exit
- 13:30 CET Newcastle ‘scared’ City but then they ‘scared’ us back – McClaren