Former England captain David Beckham joined big-spending Paris Saint Germain on Thursday on a five month contract.
The player had recently been training with Premier League club Arsenal in a bid to retain his fitness since he left the LA Galaxy in December after five and a half years with the American club, who he helped to two MLS Cup titles.
Beckham was the target of several top European teams in recent weeks but decided to extend his illustrious career in the French capital.
“I am very lucky. I am 37 years old and I have had a lot of offers, more offers than in my whole career at my age. So I am very honoured by that.”
The former Manchester United, Real Madrid star admitted he chose PSG because of their ambition for success.
That ambition has led to the club spending 235.5 million euros on new signings in the last 18 months including Sweden international striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Lucas Moura and Ezequiel Lavezzi.
“I chose Paris because I can see what the club is trying to do. I’ve seen the players that the club is bringing in. You know it’s an exciting city, always has been always will be but now there is a club that is going to have a lot of success over the next 10, 15, 20 years.”
As well as the glamour and the popular brand Beckham, PSG will hope the veteran midfielder can also bring with him his experience and trophy winning ways, as he did with Manchester United, Real Madrid and the Galaxy.
Beckham will wear the number 32 shirt as at AC Milan, where he worked with current PSG coach Carlo Ancelotti and sporting director Leonardo, during his two loan spells in 2009 and 2010.
David Beckham’s salary at Paris St Germain will be donated to a children’s charity in Paris.
“We decided on something that’s quite unique. I won’t receive any salary during my time at Paris St Germain, my salary will go to a children’s charity in Paris,” Beckham, explained.
“I’m very passionate about children and charity and so are the club. I don’t think something like this has been done before.”
Beckham did not elaborate on the details of the donation.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 6India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 7What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 18:28 CET No backward steps for Koeman’s attacking Saints
- 17:33 CET Liverpool’s Rodgers unfazed by Selhurst Park return
- 16:45 CET Wawrinka gives Switzerland first blood in final
- 16:28 CET Advantage Hamilton in Abu Dhabi practice
- 16:07 CET Mental approach key for Boks against Italy, says De Villiers
- 16:01 CET Davis Cup final attracts record crowd
- 15:58 CET Next eight games crucial for Manchester City , says Pellegrini
- 15:41 CET Luis Enrique convinced Messi is happy at Barcelona