David Beckham is joining French side Paris St Germain.
The team made the official presentation of the midfielder at PSG headquarters after he had completed a medical test.
“David refused a lot of clubs from around the world, so we’re very happy to have him,” PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi told a news conference at the Parc des Princes.
“He will help us to reach our dream to become one of the best European clubs, he’ll be of big value for the club, he’ll be a big asset.”
Beckham, who has signed a five-month contract with PSG, said his wife, former Spice Girl Victoria, and children would continue to live in London.
“My family will be staying in London because my kids go to school there,” he said.
Explaining why he had picked this one from many offers, Beckham said: “I can see what the club is trying to do. Paris is an exciting city, always has been and always will be, but now there’s a club that’s exciting to me. I’m happy I’ve been picked to be part of the future of PSG. I’m very excited.”
Asked about how good he would be at communicating with the locals, the player admitted he might have some work to do: “My French, I haven’t spoken French for quite a few years, since I was at school so, yeah that’s quite a few years. So I’m definitely going to have to brush up on it.”
David Beckham’s salary at Paris St Germain will be donated to a children’s charity in Paris, he said.
“We decided on something that’s quite unique. I won’t receive any salary during my time at Paris St Germain, my salary will go to a children’s charity in Paris,” Beckham, explained.
“I’m very passionate about children and charity and so are the club. I don’t think something like this has been done before.”
Beckham did not elaborate on the details of the donation.
Last December, Beckham left the Los Angeles Galaxy in United States where he had been playing for the last five years. His time with LA Galaxy included two loan-spells with Italian side AC Milan in 2009 and 2010.
The 37-year-old, who has made 115 appearances for England, has been training in London with Arsenal in recent weeks to retain his fitness.
In the last 18 months, PSG, managed by Carlo Ancelotti, has spent over 230 million euros on players. Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Ezequiel Lavezzi and Lucas Moura are among the club’s acquisitions.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:10 CET EU’s Ashton to stay on until end of Iran nuclear talks
- 18:48 CET U.N. questions Israel on Palestinians’ rights
- 18:29 CET Sri Lanka announces early presidential poll in January
- 18:28 CET Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to…
- 18:23 CET Poll shows Rousseff gaining momentum as Brazil election nears
- 18:18 CET Gaddafi cousin hopes to participate in Libyan peace talks
- 18:12 CET Video of woman giving birth outside Egyptian hospital triggers…
- 17:30 CET Qaeda insurgents kill 18 Houthis as Yemen sectarian conflict…