David Beckham is joining French side Paris St Germain.
The team made the official presentation of the midfielder at PSG headquarters after he had completed a medical test.
“David refused a lot of clubs from around the world, so we’re very happy to have him,” PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi told a news conference at the Parc des Princes.
“He will help us to reach our dream to become one of the best European clubs, he’ll be of big value for the club, he’ll be a big asset.”
Beckham, who has signed a five-month contract with PSG, said his wife, former Spice Girl Victoria, and children would continue to live in London.
“My family will be staying in London because my kids go to school there,” he said.
Explaining why he had picked this one from many offers, Beckham said: “I can see what the club is trying to do. Paris is an exciting city, always has been and always will be, but now there’s a club that’s exciting to me. I’m happy I’ve been picked to be part of the future of PSG. I’m very excited.”
Asked about how good he would be at communicating with the locals, the player admitted he might have some work to do: “My French, I haven’t spoken French for quite a few years, since I was at school so, yeah that’s quite a few years. So I’m definitely going to have to brush up on it.”
David Beckham’s salary at Paris St Germain will be donated to a children’s charity in Paris, he said.
“We decided on something that’s quite unique. I won’t receive any salary during my time at Paris St Germain, my salary will go to a children’s charity in Paris,” Beckham, explained.
“I’m very passionate about children and charity and so are the club. I don’t think something like this has been done before.”
Beckham did not elaborate on the details of the donation.
Last December, Beckham left the Los Angeles Galaxy in United States where he had been playing for the last five years. His time with LA Galaxy included two loan-spells with Italian side AC Milan in 2009 and 2010.
The 37-year-old, who has made 115 appearances for England, has been training in London with Arsenal in recent weeks to retain his fitness.
In the last 18 months, PSG, managed by Carlo Ancelotti, has spent over 230 million euros on players. Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Ezequiel Lavezzi and Lucas Moura are among the club’s acquisitions.
- 1Greek Prime Minister Tsipras confirms referendum, calls for Greeks to reject creditors’ proposal
- 2Time runs out: Greece misses 1.6 billion-euro IMF repayment
- 3Crowdfunded site for Greek debt nears €1,500,000 in contributions
- 4Greece’s eurozone future in balance as bailout expires
- 5Ukraine stops buying Russian gas over price row
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 14Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Wires > News
- 23:21 CET Malaysia tells UN Security Council of push for MH17 tribunal
- 23:18 CET No sweat? Colombia turns to lie detectors to tackle government…
- 22:51 CET Suspected Boko Haram gunmen kill ‘many’ in Nigeria attack
- 22:28 CET Four allies quit Tsipras’ coalition over bailout referendum
- 22:01 CET U.N. says Burundi election was not free, fair or credible
- 21:30 CET No breakthrough at Iran nuclear talks, ministers push for deal soon
- 20:31 CET Syria rejects U.N. criticism of barrel bombs, says ‘technical‘…
- 20:21 CET Pope’s South American trip – defending the poor and the planet