David Beckham is joining French side Paris St Germain.
The team made the official presentation of the midfielder at PSG headquarters after he had completed a medical test.
“David refused a lot of clubs from around the world, so we’re very happy to have him,” PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi told a news conference at the Parc des Princes.
“He will help us to reach our dream to become one of the best European clubs, he’ll be of big value for the club, he’ll be a big asset.”
Beckham, who has signed a five-month contract with PSG, said his wife, former Spice Girl Victoria, and children would continue to live in London.
“My family will be staying in London because my kids go to school there,” he said.
Explaining why he had picked this one from many offers, Beckham said: “I can see what the club is trying to do. Paris is an exciting city, always has been and always will be, but now there’s a club that’s exciting to me. I’m happy I’ve been picked to be part of the future of PSG. I’m very excited.”
Asked about how good he would be at communicating with the locals, the player admitted he might have some work to do: “My French, I haven’t spoken French for quite a few years, since I was at school so, yeah that’s quite a few years. So I’m definitely going to have to brush up on it.”
David Beckham’s salary at Paris St Germain will be donated to a children’s charity in Paris, he said.
“We decided on something that’s quite unique. I won’t receive any salary during my time at Paris St Germain, my salary will go to a children’s charity in Paris,” Beckham, explained.
“I’m very passionate about children and charity and so are the club. I don’t think something like this has been done before.”
Beckham did not elaborate on the details of the donation.
Last December, Beckham left the Los Angeles Galaxy in United States where he had been playing for the last five years. His time with LA Galaxy included two loan-spells with Italian side AC Milan in 2009 and 2010.
The 37-year-old, who has made 115 appearances for England, has been training in London with Arsenal in recent weeks to retain his fitness.
In the last 18 months, PSG, managed by Carlo Ancelotti, has spent over 230 million euros on players. Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Ezequiel Lavezzi and Lucas Moura are among the club’s acquisitions.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms
- 2NATO accuses Russian bombers of flying close to its airspace
- 3France ‘to deliver’ Mistral warship, says Russia
- 4France says ‘conditions not met’ for Mistral warship delivery to Russia
- 5Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 3International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 5European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 6All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 7How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 8Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 11Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 12Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 13US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 18:11 CET Political crisis in Kosovo thwarts president’s historic Serbia…
- 18:08 CET Ukraine, Russia, EU likely to agree gas supply deal Thursday -…
- 17:58 CET Trust us, EU asks Kosovo amid corruption probe
- 17:50 CET Exclusive: Canada spy agency must improve information sharing -…
- 17:46 CET Thousands flee as Boko Haram seizes northeast Nigerian town
- 17:40 CET Former Italian minister Tremonti denies bribery allegations
- 17:18 CET Kerry says reported U.S. slur of Israel’s Netanyahu ‘damaging’
- 17:07 CET Anti-Muslim bullying on rise after Canada attacks, group says