David Beckham is joining French side Paris St Germain.
The team made the official presentation of the midfielder at PSG headquarters after he had completed a medical test.
“David refused a lot of clubs from around the world, so we’re very happy to have him,” PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi told a news conference at the Parc des Princes.
“He will help us to reach our dream to become one of the best European clubs, he’ll be of big value for the club, he’ll be a big asset.”
Beckham, who has signed a five-month contract with PSG, said his wife, former Spice Girl Victoria, and children would continue to live in London.
“My family will be staying in London because my kids go to school there,” he said.
Explaining why he had picked this one from many offers, Beckham said: “I can see what the club is trying to do. Paris is an exciting city, always has been and always will be, but now there’s a club that’s exciting to me. I’m happy I’ve been picked to be part of the future of PSG. I’m very excited.”
Asked about how good he would be at communicating with the locals, the player admitted he might have some work to do: “My French, I haven’t spoken French for quite a few years, since I was at school so, yeah that’s quite a few years. So I’m definitely going to have to brush up on it.”
David Beckham’s salary at Paris St Germain will be donated to a children’s charity in Paris, he said.
“We decided on something that’s quite unique. I won’t receive any salary during my time at Paris St Germain, my salary will go to a children’s charity in Paris,” Beckham, explained.
“I’m very passionate about children and charity and so are the club. I don’t think something like this has been done before.”
Beckham did not elaborate on the details of the donation.
Last December, Beckham left the Los Angeles Galaxy in United States where he had been playing for the last five years. His time with LA Galaxy included two loan-spells with Italian side AC Milan in 2009 and 2010.
The 37-year-old, who has made 115 appearances for England, has been training in London with Arsenal in recent weeks to retain his fitness.
In the last 18 months, PSG, managed by Carlo Ancelotti, has spent over 230 million euros on players. Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Ezequiel Lavezzi and Lucas Moura are among the club’s acquisitions.
- 1Death toll after Nepal earthquake climbs to more than 1,900
- 2Russian pro-Putin bikers set off on controversial “Victory Ride” to Berlin
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Nepal earthquake: aid offers pour in as death toll climbs by the minute
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 16Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 20Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 12:48 CET Malaysia foils attacks in capital by suspected militants
- 12:18 CET Egypt’s trial of Mursi ‘badly flawed’ – Human Rights Watch
- 12:16 CET Turkish Cypriots pick new leader ahead of planned peace talks
- 12:05 CET One more Ukrainian serviceman killed in rebel attacks – Ukraine…
- 11:56 CET Syrian TV says insurgents killed civilians after capturing town
- 11:25 CET Nepalese dig for quake survivors as toll exceeds 2,200, big…
- 06:58 CET Obama pokes fun at political friends and foes at White House dinner
- 06:40 CET U.S. official denies report of Islamic State plot in California