David Beckham is joining French side Paris St Germain.
The team made the official presentation of the midfielder at PSG headquarters after he had completed a medical test.
“David refused a lot of clubs from around the world, so we’re very happy to have him,” PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi told a news conference at the Parc des Princes.
“He will help us to reach our dream to become one of the best European clubs, he’ll be of big value for the club, he’ll be a big asset.”
Beckham, who has signed a five-month contract with PSG, said his wife, former Spice Girl Victoria, and children would continue to live in London.
“My family will be staying in London because my kids go to school there,” he said.
Explaining why he had picked this one from many offers, Beckham said: “I can see what the club is trying to do. Paris is an exciting city, always has been and always will be, but now there’s a club that’s exciting to me. I’m happy I’ve been picked to be part of the future of PSG. I’m very excited.”
Asked about how good he would be at communicating with the locals, the player admitted he might have some work to do: “My French, I haven’t spoken French for quite a few years, since I was at school so, yeah that’s quite a few years. So I’m definitely going to have to brush up on it.”
David Beckham’s salary at Paris St Germain will be donated to a children’s charity in Paris, he said.
“We decided on something that’s quite unique. I won’t receive any salary during my time at Paris St Germain, my salary will go to a children’s charity in Paris,” Beckham, explained.
“I’m very passionate about children and charity and so are the club. I don’t think something like this has been done before.”
Beckham did not elaborate on the details of the donation.
Last December, Beckham left the Los Angeles Galaxy in United States where he had been playing for the last five years. His time with LA Galaxy included two loan-spells with Italian side AC Milan in 2009 and 2010.
The 37-year-old, who has made 115 appearances for England, has been training in London with Arsenal in recent weeks to retain his fitness.
In the last 18 months, PSG, managed by Carlo Ancelotti, has spent over 230 million euros on players. Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Ezequiel Lavezzi and Lucas Moura are among the club’s acquisitions.
- 1Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 2Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 3Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 4Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 5Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Dramatic footage of road collapse as deadly rain storms hit Asia
More Stock Exchange losses in Greece as banking shares plunge
Yemen conflict: Hadi loyalists seize largest military base from Houthis
Pakistan hangs ‘teen’ convict despite protests from rights groups
ASEAN foreign ministers set to discuss South China Sea tensions
Wires > News
- 13:26 CET U.N. envoy to Yemen says warring parties increasingly open to…
- 13:24 CET China detains seven Christians opposed to cross demolition
- 13:23 CET Judge throws out fraud case against South African firebrand Malema
- 13:20 CET Southeast Asian nations back halt to land reclamation in South…
- 12:53 CET South Africa’s Tutu discharged from hospital after recurring…
- 12:42 CET Top German prosecutor accuses Berlin of interfering in treason…
- 12:42 CET Pakistan hangs man lawyers say was a child when charged with murder
- 12:40 CET Insight – The ‘Jungle’ migrants of Calais: a day in the life