Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard has visited Bundaberg, New South Wales, the city hit hardest by severe floods caused by the tail-end of Cyclone Oswald.
Six people have been killed by the flooding since Tuesday, when water engulfed around 2,000 homes and 7,500 residents were evacuated.
Gillard, who is at the start of a re-election campaign, announced extra disaster funding for people in the most stricken areas of the city.
Officials are still searching for missing people and trying to help those stranded.
Elsewhere, authorities said they were relieved that much of New South Wales appeared to have escaped the worst. But debris continues to wash up on beaches across the state.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 18Giant hail stones rain down on Italian city of Florence | euronews, world news
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 05:50 CET Mexico feds to replace 13 local police forces suspected of crime…
- 05:33 CET Indonesia’s Joko Widodo sworn in as president
- 05:32 CET Setback for Japan PM as trade minister quits, media say another to…
- 05:17 CET Famed US-born translator and Chinese citizen, dies aged 98
- 04:18 CET Australia set to help China seize assets of corrupt Chinese…
- 22:58 CET Six die in heavy rains, mud slides in southwestern Mexico
- 22:07 CET Gunmen free hundreds of prisoners in east Congo
- 20:49 CET Trial of prominent Bahraini activist starts in Manama