Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard has visited Bundaberg, New South Wales, the city hit hardest by severe floods caused by the tail-end of Cyclone Oswald.
Six people have been killed by the flooding since Tuesday, when water engulfed around 2,000 homes and 7,500 residents were evacuated.
Gillard, who is at the start of a re-election campaign, announced extra disaster funding for people in the most stricken areas of the city.
Officials are still searching for missing people and trying to help those stranded.
Elsewhere, authorities said they were relieved that much of New South Wales appeared to have escaped the worst. But debris continues to wash up on beaches across the state.
- 1Greece: polls open in knife-edge referendum
- 2Tunisia: State of emergency declared after Islamist terror attack on tourists
- 3Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 4The Corinth Canal: a metaphor for the feeling of division in Greece?
- 5Syria: Fierce fighting as Assad army and rebels push to make key gains
- 1Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 4Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 5Suspect in French beheading attack admits killing his boss
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 19Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 08:12 CET China arrests man for suicide ‘rumours’ amid stock market rout -…
- 07:04 CET Colombia peace process now at lowest ebb – government
- 01:50 CET America celebrates July 4 with hot dogs, banners and barbecues
- 01:32 CET China lobbies hard ahead of Manila’s South China Sea arbitration…
- 01:27 CET Small is beautiful, say South Koreans making plans to marry
- 01:06 CET Pope heads to South America to champion the poor and the planet
- 23:03 CET Hillary Clinton accuses China of hacking U.S. computers
- 21:49 CET Suspected Congo Ebola victims test negative for the virus