UN efforts to raise money for aid for the Syrian crisis have been given a boost after large donations from the US and Kuwait.
At a fundraising conference in the Gulf Arab State, Kuwait’s emir pledged 300 million US dollars (almost 222 million euros) – and America will give an additional 135 million dollars (114.5 million euros) – on top of the 410 million dollars (303 million euros) already donated.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon is hoping for other generous donations after it was revealed that under a fifth of the UN’s 1.5 billion dollar target has been raised.
Two thirds of that money is earmarked for helping refugees, who have flooded into neighbouring countries.
Hundreds of thousands of people have left Syria. Sixty-five thousand live at the Zaatari camp in Lebanon. Almost half of them arrived in January.
The rest of the aid money will be used to help those still in Syria.
- 1Explainer: why the blue moon will not be blue
- 2Plane debris to be sent to France to investigate possible links to MH370
- 3Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
- 4Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
- 5‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 11Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
UK: Four dead as private jet crashes into car auction site
Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
Hillary Clinton urges Congress to end US trade embargo on Cuba
Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
Wires > News
- 04:09 CET Exclusive – Donald Trump’s companies have sought visas to import…
- 02:55 CET Recovered plane debris flown to France for checks
- 01:40 CET Iraq’s Kurdistan laments caught in middle of Turkey-PKK fight
- 01:18 CET Eleven Colombian military personnel killed in plane crash
- 22:22 CET Mexican president’s approval ratings hit after drug kingpin’s…
- 22:20 CET Venezuela supermarket looting leaves one dead, dozens detained
- 21:58 CET Vaccine success holds hope for end to deadly scourge of Ebola
- 21:27 CET U.S. Marines declare initial F-35 squadron ready for combat