UN efforts to raise money for aid for the Syrian crisis have been given a boost after large donations from the US and Kuwait.
At a fundraising conference in the Gulf Arab State, Kuwait’s emir pledged 300 million US dollars (almost 222 million euros) – and America will give an additional 135 million dollars (114.5 million euros) – on top of the 410 million dollars (303 million euros) already donated.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon is hoping for other generous donations after it was revealed that under a fifth of the UN’s 1.5 billion dollar target has been raised.
Two thirds of that money is earmarked for helping refugees, who have flooded into neighbouring countries.
Hundreds of thousands of people have left Syria. Sixty-five thousand live at the Zaatari camp in Lebanon. Almost half of them arrived in January.
The rest of the aid money will be used to help those still in Syria.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Afghanistan: Fifty dead after suicide attack during volleyball match
- 2Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 3Deadly floods in southern Morocco
- 4Femen lay bare their naked opposition to papal visit
- 5Violence erupts after policeman avoids charges over black teenager’s death
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:35 CET India-Pakistan friction threatens South Asia trade at Himalayan…
- 14:22 CET NATO commander says Russian forces are still in east Ukraine
- 14:19 CET Hong Kong riot police clear protest site, arrest student leaders
- 13:35 CET Baghdad red tape puts Iraq Internet under Kurdish control
- 13:09 CET U.S. issues travel warning for Djibouti over terror threat
- 12:51 CET Latvia sees security threat in Russian deal with Abkhazia
- 12:49 CET Exclusive – Libya’s rival oil minister wants to attend OPEC meeting
- 12:48 CET National Guard, police curb Ferguson unrest as protests swell…