French forces say they have entered the northern Malian town of Kidal after taking over the airport.
There are no signs of Islamists and two different groups say they are talking with the French.
Kidal is the last urban bastion that had been in Islamist hands. The Islamic Movement of Azawad (IMA), a breakaway group from the Islamist Ansar Dine movement, says it rejects terrorism and claims to hold the town with Tuareg rebels.
The secular National Movement for the Liberation of Azawad (MNLA), which backs the rights of Mali’s Tuareg minority, also claims to have held talks with the French.
Both groups do not want to see Malian troops in Kidal, fearing reprisals against Arab and Tuareg communities.
The Islamist militants are thought to have taken refuge in the northern mountains.
In Timbuktu, recently liberated by French and Malian forces, most precious Islamic manuscripts that had been feared destroyed are now thought to have been saved. They were reportedly hidden from Islamists before their arrival, or had been taken to the capital Bamako.
People in Timbuktu have been making their most of their new re-found freedom after suffering Islamist repression, some singing and dancing in the streets.
“Normal life can begin again, life as we knew it before, with art and our traditional music,” smiled one woman.
A man walzed as he sang a song he said he had written as a tribute to French President François Hollande.
The Islamists not only banned music, they also destoyed telecommunications equipment, supposedly because people could hear music on their mobiles.
But although shops are open and are again freely selling phones and other goods, tensions remain.
On Tuesday in Timbuktu hundreds of people, described as visibly poor, attacked stores whose owners they accused of being “Arabs”, “Algerians” or “Mauritanians” who had supported the Islamists.
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 4Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 5Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Dudamel’s gift of Beethoven to brotherly Bogota
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Missing MH370: analysis of wing part due to begin in France
Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
India: more than 20 dead in double train derailment
Israel approves detention without trial in crackdown on Jewish extremists
Appeal for international aid as floods kill hundreds in Myanmar and India
Wires > News
- 09:55 CET India floods derail trains, killing 21 people, as focus turns to…
- 09:18 CET Japan minister’s nuclear comments spark new row over security bills
- 09:16 CET Italian foreign minister invites Iran’s Rouhani to Rome – IRNA
- 09:08 CET Pakistan’s secret military courts given Supreme Court blessing
- 09:05 CET Turkish reporters face jail for publishing photo – prosecutors
- 09:04 CET Nepal villagers recover remains of 17 missing people
- 08:58 CET Kerry raises South China Sea concerns with China’s Wang
- 08:50 CET Obama warns of dangers to Israel if Iran deal blocked – …