The head of Syria’s main opposition coalition says he is ready to sit down with representatives of President Bashar al-Assad.
Mouaz Alkhatib, in an offer extended via his Facebook page, has said he is prepared to hold talks outside Syria on the condition that thousands of detainees are released.
Syrian officials said this week that certain opposition figures could return to Damascus for dialogue without facing charges.
An uprising that began with mainly peaceful protests in March 2011 has escalated into a civil war, in which some 60,000 people have died.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a British-based NGO that aims to provide casualty figures from both sides of the conflct, is reporting at least 11 more deaths on Wednesday: six in Damascus and five near Aleppo.
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 3Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 4World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 20:04 CET Kremlin critic Navalny files lawsuit against Putin
- 19:56 CET Spanish court orders house search on former PP official
- 19:41 CET Cypriot president says peace talks make progress but work needed
- 19:39 CET Central Europeans need to do more to help refugees, UN agency says
- 19:32 CET Former Pakistan military leader Musharraf hospitalised with chest…
- 19:20 CET Kerry wants ‘all or nothing’ truce at Syria talks
- 18:58 CET Iran’s windfall from nuclear deal cut in half by debts – …
- 18:56 CET U.N. mission sends Burundi officers home over unrest