The international peace envoy to Syria has said the country is “breaking up before everyone’s eyes.”
Lakhdar Brahimi added that the conflict had reached “unprecedented levels of horror”, accusing both government and rebels of committing atrocities.
“Syria is being destroyed. You know I sometimes say – of course the parties are very angry at me when I say that – objectively they are cooperating in destroying Syria,” he said.
Lakhdar Brahimi spoke on the day evidence emerged of another massacre. The bodies of dozens of young men were discovered in Aleppo. They were said to be aged around 20; all had been shot in the head.
The UN-Arab League envoy again criticised the UN Security Council for failing to act. It could no longer make excuses about being divided, he said.
Russia and China have repeatedly vetoed resolutions against the Syrian government.
A Lebanese newspaper has reported that President al-Assad’s wife Asma is pregnant with their fourth child.
- 1French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 2Christians protest against Israel’s ‘divisive’ separation barrier
- 3Large protests in Japan against plans to expand military role
- 4Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 5Austria and Hungary hope arrests will lead to human trafficking ringleaders
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Destination northern Europe: thousands make daily ‘journey of death’
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 5Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Hungary FM to meet French ambassador after border fence remarks
Freddie Krueger creator Wes Craven has died aged 76
Hundreds pay tribute to police officer killed at a Texas petrol station
Syrian regime accused of bombing civilians in Damascus suburb
More civilian deaths in Saudi-led air raids on suspected Houthi targets
Wires > News
- 10:44 CET Indonesian workers to stage mass protest against layoffs
- 10:18 CET Japan eyes defence budget hike to fortify island chain facing China
- 07:55 CET Refugee crisis suddenly Merkel’s biggest challenge
- 07:38 CET China party says no disrespect meant with Jiang sign removal
- 07:00 CET Cambodia says no plan to take more refugees from Australian…
- 06:22 CET China property developers to buy back Tianjin blast homes – Xinhua
- 03:35 CET ‘The Storm Makers’ puts Cambodia’s sex-trafficking under spotlight
- 03:08 CET Insight – Clan warfare trumps diplomacy in Mali’s fragile north