The international peace envoy to Syria has said the country is “breaking up before everyone’s eyes.”
Lakhdar Brahimi added that the conflict had reached “unprecedented levels of horror”, accusing both government and rebels of committing atrocities.
“Syria is being destroyed. You know I sometimes say – of course the parties are very angry at me when I say that – objectively they are cooperating in destroying Syria,” he said.
Lakhdar Brahimi spoke on the day evidence emerged of another massacre. The bodies of dozens of young men were discovered in Aleppo. They were said to be aged around 20; all had been shot in the head.
The UN-Arab League envoy again criticised the UN Security Council for failing to act. It could no longer make excuses about being divided, he said.
Russia and China have repeatedly vetoed resolutions against the Syrian government.
A Lebanese newspaper has reported that President al-Assad’s wife Asma is pregnant with their fourth child.
- 1Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 2Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 3Turkey appears to attack Kurdish targets in Syria, Turkey denies claim
- 4Saudi King flies into Cote d’Azur amid row over beach closure
- 5Sex, drugs and ‘shocking’ behaviour: Lord Sewel steps down amid allegations of lewd conduct
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 16Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > News
- 03:34 CET Singapore arrests man who tried to join Islamic State
- 02:55 CET Magnitude 5.9 quake hits Panama-Colombia border, no reports of…
- 00:59 CET Romania’s PM Ponta to go on holiday amid criminal probe
- 00:41 CET Iraqi militia leader says U.S. not serious about fighting Islamic…
- 00:34 CET Thousands rally in Finland against lawmaker’s anti-immigration…
- 23:16 CET U.S. to parole convicted Israeli spy Pollard on November 21
- 22:45 CET Iraqi militia leader says U.S. not serious about fighting Islamic…
- 22:15 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France