The international peace envoy to Syria has said the country is “breaking up before everyone’s eyes.”
Lakhdar Brahimi added that the conflict had reached “unprecedented levels of horror”, accusing both government and rebels of committing atrocities.
“Syria is being destroyed. You know I sometimes say – of course the parties are very angry at me when I say that – objectively they are cooperating in destroying Syria,” he said.
Lakhdar Brahimi spoke on the day evidence emerged of another massacre. The bodies of dozens of young men were discovered in Aleppo. They were said to be aged around 20; all had been shot in the head.
The UN-Arab League envoy again criticised the UN Security Council for failing to act. It could no longer make excuses about being divided, he said.
Russia and China have repeatedly vetoed resolutions against the Syrian government.
A Lebanese newspaper has reported that President al-Assad’s wife Asma is pregnant with their fourth child.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 22:05 CET EU lawmakers trade insults, Juncker set to survive censure motion
- 21:04 CET Saudi Arabia says Islamic State ordered attack on Shi’ites in…
- 20:20 CET U.N. to miss December 1 Ebola target due to rising Sierra Leone…
- 20:19 CET Baghdad car bomb kills eight people, fighting west of capital
- 20:15 CET Hagel, under pressure, resigns as U.S. defence secretary
- 20:11 CET Role of U.S. troops in Afghanistan to shift to training -White…
- 19:39 CET Suspected Boko Haram militants attack Nigerian border town
- 19:28 CET Women City centres bring hope to El Salvador’s abused women