The deputy mayor of a Spanish coastal resort has been arrested as part of expanding inquiry into money laundering.
Josep Valls was taken into custody over claims he used a local football club in Lloret de Mar on the Costa Brava as a front for a Russian mafia multi-million euro operation.
Detectives believe the network is linked to one of the ten criminals most wanted by the FBI. Four people have already been detained over the affair including Russian estate agent, Andrei Petrov, who’s the presumed head of the laundering ring.
During his arrest on Friday, police found a Kalachnikov rifle at his home. Authorities believe the funds come from Russia and passed through a third “fiscal paradise country” before being used to buy property and fund other diverse investments on the Costa Brava.
- 1Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 4Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 5Suspect in French beheading attack admits killing his boss
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > News
- 01:26 CET Pope comes ‘home’ to South America to defend planet and the poor
- 01:25 CET Two attacks in central Nigerian city of Jos – witnesses
- 23:03 CET Pope comes ‘home’ to South America to defend planet and the poor
- 22:50 CET Heavy fighting as Iraqi forces try to surround Falluja
- 20:38 CET Albanian police catch suspected killer of Czech tourists
- 18:13 CET Greek referendum final polls show ‘No’ vote ahead by small margin
- 18:06 CET Insight – Fears of Syria war persist in Lebanese border village
- 17:46 CET Lebanese Hezbollah and Syrian army enter rebel-held border city