It is third time lucky for South Korea where a rocket has been successfully launched after two previous failures. In addition, the launch was also called off at the last minute twice last year, due to technical problems.
Named Naro, the rocket is carrying a satellite to collect climate data – the first South Korean satellite to be sent into space from inside the country.
“Five hundred and forty seconds after the launch of Naro at 4 o’clock this afternoon, the scientific satellite successfully separated from the rocket. Based on various analysis reports, I officially announce the launch as successful – placing the scientific satellite into the proper orbit,” South Korea’s Minister for Education, Science and Technology Lee Ju-Ho said at a press conference.
Timing could be key. The launch comes just over a month after neighbouring North Korea successfully sent its own satellite into – causing tension in the region, allegations of long-range missile testing and more UN sanctions against Pyongyang.
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 4Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 5Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Liberia launches child registration drive post Ebola crisis
Austria: overwhelmed refugee centre closes to new arrivals
UK extends Tornado air campaign against ISIL in Iraq
Dramatic footage of road collapse as deadly rain storms hit Asia
More Stock Exchange losses in Greece as banking shares plunge
Wires > News
- 16:53 CET Turkish jets hit PKK targets after soldiers killed in southeast…
- 16:46 CET Belgian minister under fire for saying migrants can pay for hotels
- 16:17 CET Italy’s Senate passes Renzi’s bureaucracy reform plan
- 16:02 CET Italian minister visits Iran seeking better ties
- 15:50 CET Seven killed, about 20 taken in suspected Boko Haram attack in…
- 15:47 CET Israel’s Netanyahu tells cabinet to back budget or risk government…
- 15:45 CET Monitor says al Qaeda in Syria abducts five U.S.-backed rebels
- 15:15 CET Turkish nationalists would back AK minority government in return…