It is third time lucky for South Korea where a rocket has been successfully launched after two previous failures. In addition, the launch was also called off at the last minute twice last year, due to technical problems.
Named Naro, the rocket is carrying a satellite to collect climate data – the first South Korean satellite to be sent into space from inside the country.
“Five hundred and forty seconds after the launch of Naro at 4 o’clock this afternoon, the scientific satellite successfully separated from the rocket. Based on various analysis reports, I officially announce the launch as successful – placing the scientific satellite into the proper orbit,” South Korea’s Minister for Education, Science and Technology Lee Ju-Ho said at a press conference.
Timing could be key. The launch comes just over a month after neighbouring North Korea successfully sent its own satellite into – causing tension in the region, allegations of long-range missile testing and more UN sanctions against Pyongyang.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 4A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 5Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 15:19 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika set for re-election, foes cry fraud
- 15:18 CET South Sudan deploys army to guard U.N. base after attack kills…
- 14:49 CET Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits…
- 13:57 CET Libyan kidnappers of Tunisian diplomat demand Islamists’ release
- 13:34 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 13:29 CET Turkish president rules out role swap with Erdogan
- 13:25 CET Indonesia’s ex-general Prabowo edges closer to presidential race
- 13:19 CET Italy government prepares to approve tax cuts