In response to the growing unrest on the streets of Egypt, President Mohammed Mursi has cut short a diplomatic trip to Europe.
The streets of Ismailia, Port Said and Suez are thronged with protesters after dark, despite a state of emergency being declared and a curfew imposed.
More than 50 people are known to have been killed.
Mursi still plans to visit Germany on Wednesday, but the two-day stay has been cut to just a few hours. A subsequent visit to France has been cancelled entirely.
The turmoil has shown some signs of easing, but the instability has stirred uneasiness internationally. Mursi will be hoping to help allay fears when he meets Angela Merkel in Berlin.
The Chief of Egypt’s armed forces has warned the crisis could end with the collapse of the state.
Mourners at the funerals of those killed in Port Said called for the overthrow of the President.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 2Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support to Putin on Ukraine
- 4Watch: Femen protesters held after topless protest in Crimea
- 5Ukraine police on alert as violence erupts at pro-Russia demo
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 12:36 CET Iran says nuclear talks with powers ‘substantive and useful’
- 12:03 CET Kerry in Jordan for talks on Middle East peace
- 11:53 CET Congolese warlord convicted of war crimes at International Court
- 11:33 CET Al Qaeda executes Yemeni accused of guiding U.S. drone strikes
- 11:28 CET Erdogan says Turkey may ban Facebook, YouTube over wiretaps
- 11:21 CET China voices ‘deep concern’ to North Korea over plane near-miss
- 11:17 CET Malaysia opposition’s Anwar convicted of sodomy
- 11:15 CET Poland’s ruling party closes gap on conservative opposition