Austria’s Marcel Hirscher produced yet another flawless run to clinch a World Cup parallel slalom in Moscow on Tuesday
Just a few days after taking gold in the same discipline in Kitzbuehel, the 23 year old repeated the trick and outclassed Sweden’s Andre Myhrer in the men’s two-leg final to secure his sixth title of the season and 18th of his career on the World Cup circuit.
This win now sees Hirscher lead Norwegian rival Aksel Lund Svindal by 214 points in the overall standings with Felix Neureuther of Germany currently lying in third place, 145 points further back.
And in the women’s event, Germany’s Lena Duerr kept her composure to edge out Veronika Velez-Zuzulova in the final and claim her first victory this season.
American teenager Mikaela Shiffrin extended her lead in the discipline’s standings by finishing third while women’s overall leader Tina Maze of Slovenia was dumped out of the competition in the quarterfinals.
Four-time overall World Cup champion Lindsey Vonn didn’t race in Moscow in order to prepare for next week’s world championships in Schladming, Austria.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 8Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 11EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 12Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 13New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 14Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 15Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 18Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20Marine Le Pen criticises France’s decision to halt Mistral warship sale to Russia | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 04:14 CET Lerner farewell galvanises Villa talent
- 04:08 CET Messi-Neymar connection clicking before APOEL game
- 04:05 CET Chelsea, Costa set to heap more misery on Schalke
- 03:45 CET Australian cycling shaken up, gets A$2 million loan
- 03:17 CET World 100 metres champion Magnussen splits with coach
- 23:44 CET Tiger expects ‘very full’ schedule next season
- 22:49 CET Champagne to run against FIFA president Blatter
- 20:27 CET Atletico still a work in progress, coach Simeone says