Austria’s Marcel Hirscher produced yet another flawless run to clinch a World Cup parallel slalom in Moscow on Tuesday
Just a few days after taking gold in the same discipline in Kitzbuehel, the 23 year old repeated the trick and outclassed Sweden’s Andre Myhrer in the men’s two-leg final to secure his sixth title of the season and 18th of his career on the World Cup circuit.
This win now sees Hirscher lead Norwegian rival Aksel Lund Svindal by 214 points in the overall standings with Felix Neureuther of Germany currently lying in third place, 145 points further back.
And in the women’s event, Germany’s Lena Duerr kept her composure to edge out Veronika Velez-Zuzulova in the final and claim her first victory this season.
American teenager Mikaela Shiffrin extended her lead in the discipline’s standings by finishing third while women’s overall leader Tina Maze of Slovenia was dumped out of the competition in the quarterfinals.
Four-time overall World Cup champion Lindsey Vonn didn’t race in Moscow in order to prepare for next week’s world championships in Schladming, Austria.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 20:54 CET Del Bosque wants more constructive criticism of Spain
- 20:48 CET Kane to start for England against Italy, says Hodgson
- 19:31 CET UEFA starts proceedings against Montenegro and Russia
- 19:07 CET Challandes quits as Armenia coach
- 18:42 CET Qatar 2022 World Cup may not need cooling systems
- 16:17 CET Pakistan name Azhar as one-day captain
- 15:08 CET Greaves inducted into Spurs Hall of Fame at last
- 14:57 CET Woods drops out of world’s top 100