The deal closed fast. John Kerry is known as a man of compromise. Even the Republicans would give him that, as the majority of them showed when they voted in support of his candidacy to be the United States’ top diplomat.
At 69, it’s a job he’s had his eyes on for some time, and President Obama rewarded his patience and his support.
Kerry has said: “An exceptional nation demands exceptional leadership, demands the leadership of an exceptional president, and, my fellow Americans, that president is Barack Obama.”
Kerry had wanted to be president. He won the Democratic nomination in 2004. But he failed to oust George W. Bush from the White House. He didn’t stand for the running again.
He met the young Senator for Illinois when he was hardly known, and had the spotlight shone on him. Obama said this speech launched him.
So, in 2008 Obama was the Democratic candidate, with Kerry’s firm support. Kerry dreamt of becoming Secretary of State, but Obama gave that to Hillary Clinton, his rival for the presidential candidacy nomination.
Kerry worked with Obama’s administration as chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. He was born into a wealthy family, and went to elite schools in New England and in Europe. He signed up for navy duty in Vietnam when he was 24, and was wounded in action. He came home with medals and joined the anti-war movement.
After Obama’s ascendancy in 2008, Kerry found himself with time to travel the globe, bolstering his foreign policy and diplomatic expertise.
Israel, Gaza, Pakistan, Syria, Afghanistan… were among the hotspots he visited. Invariably favouring peaceful solutions, he hopes to make a mark in his new post by advancing the Israeli-Palestinian negotiations, where Obama and Clinton have not.
With his second wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, John Kerry’s career seems far from over.
- 1Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
- 2Merkel faces call to resign amid migrant crisis criticism
- 3Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
- 4Turkey returns body of Russian pilot whose warplane it shot down
- 5All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 13‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Latest News Bulletin
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
EU and Turkey agree on a 3-billion euro plan to confront the flows of refugees into Europe
‘Save our planet’ say demonstrators worldwide on eve of UN climate summit
Over 100 arrests made as Paris scuffles precede COP21 climate forum
‘Statelessness, not state’ killed Tahir Elci, claims pro-Kurdish HDP leader
Pope Francis brings message of reconciliation to Central African Republic
Wires > News
- 23:54 CET Bosnian Serbs dismiss top court’s order to change discriminatory…
- 22:59 CET France calls for ‘enlightened Islam’ against jihadist ideology
- 21:19 CET Mourners at funeral of Kurdish lawyer cast doubt over justice
- 21:05 CET Israel suspends EU role in peace process with Palestinians
- 21:01 CET U.S. senators call for 20,000 troops in Syria and Iraq
- 20:31 CET German police tackle mass brawl at Berlin refugee shelter
- 19:48 CET Turkey recovers body of pilot from downed Russian jet
- 19:29 CET Russian air strikes kill at least 30 in stepped up raids in…