30/01/13 16:44 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Israel has declined to comment on reports that its army launched an attack in the Syrian border area on Wednesday night.
Lebanese security sources claim Israeli forces hit an armed convoy on the Syria-Lebanon border.
The reports come at a time of growing concern about Syria’s arsenal of chemical weaponry, as the civil war there continues to escalate.
The Lebanese army says there was a strong presence of Israeli jets overnight.
There is no confirmed information about the exact nature or location of the target.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a meeting of security chiefs to discuss Syria last week.
And his vice premier Silvan Shalom said on Sunday that any sign that the country is losing its grip on its chemical weapons could trigger Israeli military strikes.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 11New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 12world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
EU and Turkey agree on a 3-billion euro plan to confront the flows of refugees into Europe
‘Save our planet’ say demonstrators worldwide on eve of UN climate summit
Over 100 arrests made as Paris scuffles precede COP21 climate forum
‘Statelessness, not state’ killed Tahir Elci, claims pro-Kurdish HDP leader
Pope Francis brings message of reconciliation to Central African Republic
Wires > News
- 02:34 CET Indonesia ferry hits trouble on way to Singapore, 97 rescued
- 23:54 CET Bosnian Serbs dismiss top court’s order to change discriminatory…
- 22:59 CET France calls for ‘enlightened Islam’ against jihadist ideology
- 21:19 CET Mourners at funeral of Kurdish lawyer cast doubt over justice
- 21:05 CET Israel suspends EU role in peace process with Palestinians
- 21:01 CET U.S. senators call for 20,000 troops in Syria and Iraq
- 20:31 CET German police tackle mass brawl at Berlin refugee shelter
- 19:48 CET Turkey recovers body of pilot from downed Russian jet