30/01/13 16:44 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Israel has declined to comment on reports that its army launched an attack in the Syrian border area on Wednesday night.
Lebanese security sources claim Israeli forces hit an armed convoy on the Syria-Lebanon border.
The reports come at a time of growing concern about Syria’s arsenal of chemical weaponry, as the civil war there continues to escalate.
The Lebanese army says there was a strong presence of Israeli jets overnight.
There is no confirmed information about the exact nature or location of the target.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a meeting of security chiefs to discuss Syria last week.
And his vice premier Silvan Shalom said on Sunday that any sign that the country is losing its grip on its chemical weapons could trigger Israeli military strikes.
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 3Taiwan: at least 18 killed as earthquake brings down several buildings
- 4EU foreign ministers tell Turkey to let in the exodus from Aleppo
- 5World condemns North Korean satellite launch
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
Taiwan quake: young man pulled alive from rubble, as survivor search continues
Somali passenger jet ‘holed by bomb’
Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
Five migrants saved from channel after trying to sail to Britain from Calais
Wires > News
- 08:16 CET More pulled out alive after Taiwan quake, about 120 people still…
- 07:16 CET Malaysia’s new Twitter police target critics of PM Najib
- 04:45 CET More than 3,100 pregnant women in Colombia have Zika virus -…
- 04:07 CET Australian woman freed after kidnap by al Qaeda in Burkina Faso
- 22:59 CET Tunisia finishes Libya border fence intended to keep out militants
- 22:41 CET Anti-Islam movement PEGIDA stages protests across Europe
- 22:39 CET Iraq’s water minister judges only tiny danger of Mosul dam collapse
- 20:52 CET Turkey must cut migrant flows to Europe, top EU official says