Israel has declined to comment on reports that its army launched an attack in the Syrian border area on Wednesday night.
Lebanese security sources claim Israeli forces hit an armed convoy on the Syria-Lebanon border.
The reports come at a time of growing concern about Syria’s arsenal of chemical weaponry, as the civil war there continues to escalate.
The Lebanese army says there was a strong presence of Israeli jets overnight.
There is no confirmed information about the exact nature or location of the target.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a meeting of security chiefs to discuss Syria last week.
And his vice premier Silvan Shalom said on Sunday that any sign that the country is losing its grip on its chemical weapons could trigger Israeli military strikes.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 11:42 CET Insight – Unable to halt Europe-bound migrants, Tripoli demands…
- 11:06 CET One killed in rebel shelling of east Ukraine town, coke plant…
- 10:43 CET Greece will not make June IMF repayment – interior minister
- 10:24 CET One Ukrainian civilian killed, two wounded in Avdiyivka shelling -…
- 10:04 CET Women activists cross DMZ to mixed reception on South Korean side
- 09:21 CET Mass graves of suspected trafficking victims found in Malaysia
- 09:07 CET Analysis – The European centre-left’s quandary
- 08:02 CET Rohingya Muslims found on boat rescued by Myanmar navy