30/01/13 16:44 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Israel has declined to comment on reports that its army launched an attack in the Syrian border area on Wednesday night.
Lebanese security sources claim Israeli forces hit an armed convoy on the Syria-Lebanon border.
The reports come at a time of growing concern about Syria’s arsenal of chemical weaponry, as the civil war there continues to escalate.
The Lebanese army says there was a strong presence of Israeli jets overnight.
There is no confirmed information about the exact nature or location of the target.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a meeting of security chiefs to discuss Syria last week.
And his vice premier Silvan Shalom said on Sunday that any sign that the country is losing its grip on its chemical weapons could trigger Israeli military strikes.
Latest world news
Iran election: ‘Victory’ for allies of reformist Rouhani
Trump jokes about protest in California
Air strikes and shelling cause more deaths in Aleppo
A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Will Michel Platini be back in charge for Euro 2016?
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…