Israel has declined to comment on reports that its army launched an attack in the Syrian border area on Wednesday night.
Lebanese security sources claim Israeli forces hit an armed convoy on the Syria-Lebanon border.
The reports come at a time of growing concern about Syria’s arsenal of chemical weaponry, as the civil war there continues to escalate.
The Lebanese army says there was a strong presence of Israeli jets overnight.
There is no confirmed information about the exact nature or location of the target.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a meeting of security chiefs to discuss Syria last week.
And his vice premier Silvan Shalom said on Sunday that any sign that the country is losing its grip on its chemical weapons could trigger Israeli military strikes.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan kills dozens
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Official photos capture Prince George’s first birthday
- 5Gaza’s civilians, ‘no safe space left’
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 17:49 CET Bulgaria’s technocrat prime minister resigns amid banking crisis
- 17:42 CET Yemen president says Houthis agree to return town to state control
- 17:38 CET Seleka to sign ceasefire, drops call for Central African Republic…
- 17:11 CET Bombs in north Nigeria’s Kaduna kill at least 82
- 17:10 CET TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47
- 17:05 CET Islamists gun down Somali protest singer-turned-lawmaker
- 16:59 CET Second bomb in Nigeria’s Kaduna kills 50 – Red Cross worker
- 16:41 CET Chaos as Czech parliament approves, then scraps, petrol tax cut