Greek police arrested up to 30 protesters on Wednesday as clashes broke out around the Labour ministry in Athens.
Officials said those detained were mostly members of the Communist Party and Labour Union who had forced their way into the building.
Hundreds of people gathered after Labour Minister Giannis Vroutsis admitted in an interview that the country’s social security system was corrupt and fragmented.
Activists went on to occupy his office. Those arrested were piled into two police vans.
“They (the government) supports the interests of the oligarchy. They want to kill us. Every day they beat us. Look at the regime we have here,” protester Markos Bassioukas shouted as he was confronted by riot police.
Witnesses say two demonstrators were slightly injured during the clashes.
As well as causing record unemployment, Greece’s debt crisis continues to see the public sector cut wages.
Last week, the government used emergency powers to force striking metro workers to return to their jobs. Their walk-out left Athen’s public transport shut for nine days and the city’s roads gridlocked.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before striken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 10:27 CET Iran says will firmly deter any attacks as military displays might
- 09:45 CET As opposition grows, China defends plans for petrochemical plants
- 09:33 CET South Korea investigates capsized ferry crew, stowage as rescue…
- 09:03 CET At least nine Nepali guides killed in Everest avalanche
- 08:42 CET Fly me to Sochi, demands Cathay passenger armed with chocolate…
- 08:06 CET India’s election commission lifts ban on top Modi aide
- 07:57 CET Japan to arm remote western island, risking more China tension
- 05:40 CET China sentences activists for urging asset disclosure – lawyer