Greek police arrested up to 30 protesters on Wednesday as clashes broke out around the Labour ministry in Athens.
Officials said those detained were mostly members of the Communist Party and Labour Union who had forced their way into the building.
Hundreds of people gathered after Labour Minister Giannis Vroutsis admitted in an interview that the country’s social security system was corrupt and fragmented.
Activists went on to occupy his office. Those arrested were piled into two police vans.
“They (the government) supports the interests of the oligarchy. They want to kill us. Every day they beat us. Look at the regime we have here,” protester Markos Bassioukas shouted as he was confronted by riot police.
Witnesses say two demonstrators were slightly injured during the clashes.
As well as causing record unemployment, Greece’s debt crisis continues to see the public sector cut wages.
Last week, the government used emergency powers to force striking metro workers to return to their jobs. Their walk-out left Athen’s public transport shut for nine days and the city’s roads gridlocked.
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 4Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 5Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > News
- 21:33 CET Cecil the lion case charts new territory for U.S. wildlife law
- 21:19 CET Germany sacks top prosecutor in row over treason inquiry
- 20:06 CET Tanzanian opposition coalition nominates former PM for presidency
- 20:01 CET Pledge to accept sparks protest in Latvia
- 19:22 CET Italian minister visits Iran seeking better ties
- 19:02 CET Gaddafi loyalists stage rare protest in eastern Libya
- 18:33 CET Obama’s climate plan shows U.S. can change world – U.N.‘s Ban
- 18:31 CET Further conflict, debt dispute pose high risk to Ukraine recovery…