From its spooky gulags to its underground subways, North Korea’s morphology, geography and road network is now visible to all on the Google Maps application.
The data needed for creating the internationally isolated country’ s map were gathered through Map Maker, a programme that has helped Google map states with strict regimes, such as Iraq and Afghanistan.
Visitors to North Korea contributed photos, videos and information such as the names of buildings, roads and landmarks in the country.
North Korea’s updated view also shows parts of the country where gulag-style labour camps are thought to be located.
Agrandir le plan
A Google spokesman stated that “citizen cartographers” have played an essential role in developing Google Maps in over 150 countries. The company has been providing maps online for mobile devices for the last eight years.
Three weeks ago, Google’ s executive chairman, Eric Schmidt, visited North Korea accompanied by American diplomat Bill Richardson. The company denied any connection between the launching of the map and Schmidt’ s trip.
The four grey zones represent areas where gulags are supposed to be.
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Latest world news
One year after ISIL bloodshed Iraq’s Yazidis still suffering
Syrian warplane crashes in rebel-held town, casualties reported
Britain announces new measures to clampdown on migrants
MH370: Investigators to meet in Paris to coordinate work
Climate Change: Obama to unveil ‘biggest, most important step’ taken by the US
Wires > News
- 14:30 CET In Turkish villages facing Islamic State, doubt hangs over …
- 14:11 CET Russia says security forces kill 14 Islamist militants
- 14:02 CET We want Iran cooperation, not meddling, Gulf Arabs tell Kerry
- 14:01 CET Israel says allows harsher interrogations of Jewish militant…
- 13:43 CET Poland’s ruling party risks defeat as economic miracle disappoints
- 13:38 CET Moroccan dies trying to reach Spain in suitcase
- 12:55 CET Ten Malian soldiers killed in attack on northern base
- 12:43 CET Malaysia’s anti-graft unit says funds in PM’s account a…