From its spooky gulags to its underground subways, North Korea’s morphology, geography and road network is now visible to all on the Google Maps application.
The data needed for creating the internationally isolated country’ s map were gathered through Map Maker, a programme that has helped Google map states with strict regimes, such as Iraq and Afghanistan.
Visitors to North Korea contributed photos, videos and information such as the names of buildings, roads and landmarks in the country.
North Korea’s updated view also shows parts of the country where gulag-style labour camps are thought to be located.
Agrandir le plan
A Google spokesman stated that “citizen cartographers” have played an essential role in developing Google Maps in over 150 countries. The company has been providing maps online for mobile devices for the last eight years.
Three weeks ago, Google’ s executive chairman, Eric Schmidt, visited North Korea accompanied by American diplomat Bill Richardson. The company denied any connection between the launching of the map and Schmidt’ s trip.
The four grey zones represent areas where gulags are supposed to be.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea ferry trial: students tell how they floated to safety
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Israel warns of ‘long-lasting operation’ in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 4Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 5Israeli launches night time air strikes on Gaza
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 15:46 CET Colombia’s Marxist ELN rebels to blame for explosions – police
- 15:38 CET Ex-Catalan chief Pujol stripped of titles in Spain tax scandal
- 15:23 CET Islamic State video wages psychological war on Iraqi soldiers
- 15:18 CET Dozens killed in fierce fighting in eastern Ukraine
- 15:05 CET Magnitude 6.3 quake hits Mexico, no major damages or injuries
- 14:24 CET At least 30 people killed in Libya’s Benghazi in heavy fighting
- 12:51 CET Philippines to propose no action to raise tension in sea disputes
- 12:36 CET Special Report – Where Ukraine’s separatists get their weapons