From its spooky gulags to its underground subways, North Korea’s morphology, geography and road network is now visible to all on the Google Maps application.
The data needed for creating the internationally isolated country’ s map were gathered through Map Maker, a programme that has helped Google map states with strict regimes, such as Iraq and Afghanistan.
Visitors to North Korea contributed photos, videos and information such as the names of buildings, roads and landmarks in the country.
North Korea’s updated view also shows parts of the country where gulag-style labour camps are thought to be located.
Agrandir le plan
A Google spokesman stated that “citizen cartographers” have played an essential role in developing Google Maps in over 150 countries. The company has been providing maps online for mobile devices for the last eight years.
Three weeks ago, Google’ s executive chairman, Eric Schmidt, visited North Korea accompanied by American diplomat Bill Richardson. The company denied any connection between the launching of the map and Schmidt’ s trip.
The four grey zones represent areas where gulags are supposed to be.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Meet Bernie Sanders, the democratic socialist who wants to be US president
Latest world news
Diplomatic row at the UN highlights the difficulties for peace in Syria
Fresh fears about Zika virus after three deaths in Colombia
Fatal crane collapse in New York City
Ten-day-old baby among dead after powerful quake hits southern Taiwan
Catholic Saint Padre Pio’s remains begin journey to the Vatican
Wires > News
- 07:56 CET Efforts to revive Afghan peace talks continue in Pakistan
- 07:06 CET As Myanmar powerbrokers talk, could Suu Kyi emerge as president?
- 06:30 CET Quake fells Taiwan apartment building, at least five dead
- 05:25 CET China faces diplomatic ‘crisis’ over missing Hong Kong booksellers
- 03:51 CET Convicted al Qaeda supporter, U.S. face off in medical malpractice…
- 03:21 CET Al Qaeda group claims kidnapping of Australians in Burkina Faso
- 00:41 CET Pentagon releases photos tied to Afghan, Iraq detainee abuse
- 00:14 CET Despite Libya urgency, hurdles to quick action against Islamic…