From its spooky gulags to its underground subways, North Korea’s morphology, geography and road network is now visible to all on the Google Maps application.
The data needed for creating the internationally isolated country’ s map were gathered through Map Maker, a programme that has helped Google map states with strict regimes, such as Iraq and Afghanistan.
Visitors to North Korea contributed photos, videos and information such as the names of buildings, roads and landmarks in the country.
North Korea’s updated view also shows parts of the country where gulag-style labour camps are thought to be located.
Agrandir le plan
A Google spokesman stated that “citizen cartographers” have played an essential role in developing Google Maps in over 150 countries. The company has been providing maps online for mobile devices for the last eight years.
Three weeks ago, Google’ s executive chairman, Eric Schmidt, visited North Korea accompanied by American diplomat Bill Richardson. The company denied any connection between the launching of the map and Schmidt’ s trip.
The four grey zones represent areas where gulags are supposed to be.
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 4Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 5Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 19:26 CET German justice minister sacks top prosecutor over treason row
- 19:22 CET Italian minister visits Iran seeking better ties
- 19:02 CET Gaddafi loyalists stage rare protest in eastern Libya
- 18:33 CET Obama’s climate plan shows U.S. can change world – U.N.‘s Ban
- 18:31 CET Further conflict, debt dispute pose high risk to Ukraine recovery…
- 18:14 CET Russia resubmits claim for energy-rich Arctic shelf
- 17:42 CET Syria foreign minister in Tehran for talks with Iran, Russia
- 17:29 CET Turkish jets hit PKK targets, soldiers killed in southeast