From its spooky gulags to its underground subways, North Korea’s morphology, geography and road network is now visible to all on the Google Maps application.
The data needed for creating the internationally isolated country’ s map were gathered through Map Maker, a programme that has helped Google map states with strict regimes, such as Iraq and Afghanistan.
Visitors to North Korea contributed photos, videos and information such as the names of buildings, roads and landmarks in the country.
North Korea’s updated view also shows parts of the country where gulag-style labour camps are thought to be located.
Agrandir le plan
A Google spokesman stated that “citizen cartographers” have played an essential role in developing Google Maps in over 150 countries. The company has been providing maps online for mobile devices for the last eight years.
Three weeks ago, Google’ s executive chairman, Eric Schmidt, visited North Korea accompanied by American diplomat Bill Richardson. The company denied any connection between the launching of the map and Schmidt’ s trip.
The four grey zones represent areas where gulags are supposed to be.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Ukrainian army storms illegal checkpoints killing at least five
- 3MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 4Turkish prime minister talks of ‘shared pain’ in statement on Armenian killings
- 5War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 19:12 CET At least six killed as poll violence hits restive Indian regions
- 19:01 CET Israel suspends peace talks after Palestinian unity bid
- 18:40 CET Netanyahu: Israel will never negotiate with Hamas-backed government
- 18:38 CET South Sudan to free prisoners as pressure mounts for peace deal
- 18:12 CET Three Americans killed in Kabul hospital attack
- 17:49 CET Egypt’s army says has ‘complete control’ over Sinai Peninsula
- 17:48 CET Israel suspends peace talks with Palestinians – Israeli official
- 17:48 CET Syrian air strikes kill dozens at market near Aleppo -report