From its spooky gulags to its underground subways, North Korea’s morphology, geography and road network is now visible to all on the Google Maps application.
The data needed for creating the internationally isolated country’ s map were gathered through Map Maker, a programme that has helped Google map states with strict regimes, such as Iraq and Afghanistan.
Visitors to North Korea contributed photos, videos and information such as the names of buildings, roads and landmarks in the country.
North Korea’s updated view also shows parts of the country where gulag-style labour camps are thought to be located.
Agrandir le plan
A Google spokesman stated that “citizen cartographers” have played an essential role in developing Google Maps in over 150 countries. The company has been providing maps online for mobile devices for the last eight years.
Three weeks ago, Google’ s executive chairman, Eric Schmidt, visited North Korea accompanied by American diplomat Bill Richardson. The company denied any connection between the launching of the map and Schmidt’ s trip.
The four grey zones represent areas where gulags are supposed to be.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Second violent tragedy to hit Australia in a week leaves country in shock
- 2Obama says Sony made a “mistake” in cancelling movie over cyber threats
- 3Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5North Korea behind Sony hack says US
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Putin answers press questions on Ukraine, NATO and the Russian economy
- 3US homeowner ‘defending his castle’ found guilty of killing German teenager
- 4New era for US-Cuba relations after 18 months of secret talks
- 5Ukraine: Conflict could soon be over says optimist President Poroshenko
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Thailand’s Princess Srirasmi renounces royal status and will divorce
- 3Left-wing extremists run riot in upscale Zurich, Switzerland
- 4Italian singer-song writer ‘Pino’ dies on stage
- 5Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 7Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 8Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 9NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 12Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 13Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 16European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 19Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 20Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 01:29 CET Obama vows U.S. response to North Korea over Sony cyberattack
- 00:23 CET Cuba’s Raul Castro steps out of brother’s shadow with U.S. deal…
- 00:15 CET How Syria policy stalled under the ‘analyst in chief’
- 23:35 CET Mother arrested for murder after children found dead in Australian…
- 23:27 CET Obama to block exports of goods, technology, services to Crimea
- 21:29 CET Iraqi Kurds claim more territory after breaking siege of Sinjar
- 20:44 CET EU leaders prepare for long confrontation with Russia
- 19:34 CET Russia condemns new U.S. sanctions bill